We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

chicken mole

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
washington
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Topic
chicken mole

Ok all you food lovers, out their. Who is making the best chicken mole in Maz. I am bringing down a couple friends who have never tried mole, so I wanted to treat them to something really good ! Thanks

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
409 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: chicken mole

Te Amo Lucy has the best mole in Mazatlan.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: chicken mole

Yep, Lucy's is the best. A bit spicier than you might expect, but quite good.

Washington, DC
Level Contributor
152 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: chicken mole

My mother is from Durango, Mex which has a great blend of peppers for drying and making mole. All of our family and friends rave about it at the holidays. I have tasted mole from around the US and Mexico and ended up disappointed (Colibri in SF is the sole exception). Then I had Te Amo Lucy's mole, which I remember being complex, vibrant and overall excellent. Make sure you pair it with a nice Bohemia Obscura.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: chicken mole

Please note that Te Amo Lucy's is closed for a few more months for construction/remodeling. Unfortunately I can't recommend any other chicken mole places although I do recall having a very good mole somewhere else near El Centro. I wanted to make sure The Washington Family didn't show up to a closed restaurant.

washington
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: chicken mole

Thanks for the reply's--- jeepman , i have read , one of your replys,about Te Amo Lucy being remodled ,we coming down in late Nov. maybe they will be done by then. We have been doing Maz., for alot of years and never tried , that restaurant. I have been reading alot of great reviews lately about Te Amo Lucy. May be we will get lucky. thanh again--------Enjoy!

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: chicken mole

Te Amo Lucy's has posted elsewhere they will be open November 1. I suppose more problems with their remodelling might delay this, but I doubt it.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: chicken mole

You should be able to find chicken mole in several places, but especially in restaurants like Juanita's across from Oceano Palace, and Cueva Leon, for very reasonable prices. Also try La Regional (where Mr. Ace used to be). It's one of my favorites, and hands down, my mother-in-law makes the best mole I have ever tasted.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: chicken mole

I talk to Tony at Te Amo Lucy every couple of days. He does expect to be open by Nov 1 - at the latest. I'll be sure to post when they re-open.

There is a reason Te Amo Lucy's is rated #1 on TA! Unfortunately, most of the mole made at local restaurants starts with one of the store bought versions like Dona Maria and then they try to enhance it by adding one or more other ingredients like dried chili and Mexican chocolate, I've made it this way myself to save time and its OK, but the best mole is made from scratch (like Lucy's) and takes a bit t of work.

Of course, like any complex sauce there are many different versions. This version, by famed Chef Rick Bayless (he cooked for the President of Mexico & his wife at the state dinner in May of this year), is my favorite:

www.rickbayless.com/recipe/view?recipeID=225

Pinawa, Canada
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: chicken mole

What's chicken mole?

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: chicken mole

If you have never had mole, pronounced MOH-lay, you have really missed something. The regular black variety is correctly called mole poblano.

Mole is a heavy sauce (gravy), used generously on primarily chicken and turkey but also used in a number of other Mexican dishes. It IS the crowning glory of purely Mexican mestizo (mixed indigenous and European ingredients) cuisine. As with any complex, GOURMET dish coming from lowly roots, there are probably as many different recipes for mole as there are cooks that make the dish. There are also the chocolate free varieties called pipián (red mole, an orangeish color, made with pumpkin seeds instead of chocolate) and green mole (mole verde, using tomatillos instead of tomatoes and pumpkin seeds).

MazHelp says it right: to make it from scratch is quite a job. The BASIC ingredients are at least 3, often more, varieties of toasted dried red chile pods; roasted almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds and often peanuts; dark, unsweetened chocolate; tomatoes; raisins; onion and garlic: masa or tortillas (or toasted bread crumbs) to thicken and enough liquid (usually chicken broth) to allow this all to be blended in a blender to a very fine gravy-like consistency. Then it's simmered and the seasonings ( parsley, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.) corrected – just enough sugar to give it the tiniest bit of sweetness, salt and more finely ground red pepper – very hot ones if you like it more spicy (picante or chile hot), paprika type if you want it less spicy and finally enough more liquid OR more masa or toasted bread crumbs to bring it to the correct consistency (usually that of a heavy chicken milk gravy).

Sound like a lot of work? IT IS, so like MazHelp, I usually cheat by using the Doña María concentrate as a starter and add more of MY favorite red chile and more bitter chocolate and a bit more sugar. Chicken broth as necessary for the right consistency and VOILA! Maybe not the world's best mole, but a darn adequate and very tasty substitute without all that work.

¡BUEN PROVECHO!

Edited: 18 September 2010, 18:49