We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

Hi all. What you will read is 100% true, I don't mean to scare anyone, but this is something my wife an I debated about talking about.

This past Feb, my wife an I decided to go on a time share presentation. We were staying at the Moro. We were picked up at 8:30, driven in a SUV to the Mayan. (the back doors had the child locks on, so we couldn't get out if we wanted to, have to open the doors from the outside.) ANyway we went through the presentation, and we were on hour number 2. They had seated us on the patio right in front of the ocean. I told them that I was sorry that I was not interested. I said I would have to have my lawyer look at the contract. They then sent out another guy to talk to us. I told him no. He then said that we had to wait while he goes through his presentation. I told him we were on hour #2 and its was supposed to be a 90 minute presentaion. I told him that I would call the tourism bureu etc etc. He handed me his phone and dared me to call. I told him I have his name and I will report him. He then said something that I could not believe. He said and I quote. " We have your name, know where your staying, and know your room #" "I have lots of friends in Mazatlan" . My wife got very upste as this guy just threatened us. We got up went to the front of the resort, gave the next guy they past us to his name and then he said that no one by that name works here. I said that they can play ganes all they want, I took pictures of him, (which is true) . Then they seemed to get really scared. We got our gift and hopped in a taxi and left.

We debated leaving Mazatlan that night as we were threatened by a rep of a big resort. Here is some advice that I did.

Never give your correct room #. They will ask you for this. Cover your credit card numbers when you show them your card. Take lots of pictures of people and the salesman.

BTW, outr gift was $200.00 and a $200.00 gift certificate to Diamonds International.

The DIamonds International is a fraud. We went to try and spend it, and magically a swiss army knife that had a price tag of $25.00 turns into a $250.00 knife. Once they catch wind that you have a certificate, you can't find anything in the store for $250.00. All the staff are informed of it.

We informed the desk at the Moro that under no circumstances are they to give out our room number to anyone who may come in or call.

I don't know if thoses clowns tried looking for us, but I don't trust the police, so we were a bit on edge sleeping with one eye open. Not enjoyable.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,550 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

wow... another Horror story about time shares..

We went to One and only ONE,,,, never again. not knowing, I even let them copy my Credit card.. why would they do that ? at least I was smart enough to demand the copy back,as we walked Out, ,WithOut a gift. lol

I feel bad for you ,to run into a Really really bad guy....

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,556 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

(Sigh)

Until La Joylla and Torrenze came along, The Mayan Palace/Vidafel/Pariso/Sea Garden was the most famous place in Mazatlan for this type of activity. I had a man come into my office one day (I do REAL ESTATE, not time shares!) begging for help. He had gone to the 90 min. ‘presentation’ for Mayan Palace and had been there for over six hours! He was a very nice older man who just couldn’t “be mean and nasty” so they got him. I told him to get out the credit card he had used and dialed the bank in the US for him on my phone. Then I dropped him off at the PROFICO office downtown. PROFECO called for him to Mayan Palace and got the deal canceled. He cam back to thank me, but told me he was going back to return the ‘Gifts’ they had given him. I warned him NOT to go back. He owed them nothing! But, he went back and they brow beat him for another 2 hours. Thank heavens he did not cave in again and so far as I know he was out of the deal. (This was 5 or 6 years ago)

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

An experience like you describe can ruin a vacation. We went to a Mayan TS presentation a few years back In Nuevo Vallarta and had an experience very similar to yours. They were rude, relentless, and downright scary towards the end. After 3 hours I just got up from the table and walked out (without my $$) but at that point I really didn't care; just wanted to get the heck away from those people.

oregon
Level Contributor
1,322 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

We used to go to TS presentations many years ago (basically to get the free gift), and after the horrible experience at the last one I swore I'd never go to another. $200 to ruin my vacation is NOT worth it. Heck, I really don't know what amount of money would make it worth it.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

I've never been one of these presentations, and never would think of wasting my precious holiday time at one. I am still perplexed by the whole thing. It just seems so disingenuous for folks to go to one of these things for a little cash! Who is scamming who? I have a hard time feeling sorry for the OP , you chose to go there with absolutely no intention of purchasing, you just wanted to grab some freebie! Sorry folks I just don't get it!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

I had a similar experience in Orlando, Fla about 6 years ago. I actually dialed 911 and told them I was being held against my will. The sales manager talked to the 911 operator apologized to me and my wife, and we left after I assured the 911 operator that we were safe.

We have never been to a TS presentation since, and I never recommend anyone attending regardless of gifts offered.

My real concern is for the kind of people Roger met who go there with all intentions of getting their gifts and leaving--BUT get caught up and make a deal they are sorry for later.

calgary
Level Contributor
1,700 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

One of the reasons for the free gifts, beyond the obvious one of generating interest in a product that no one would otherwise be interested in, is to make you feel indebted to the sales person who is trying to rip you off. Just one of the many ways they will try to manipulate you. I am glad Mazexp mentioned a bad experience in Florida because this is not a Mexico problem, it is a problem with the entire concept of timeshares. They can't be sold in sufficient numbers to make money without the unethical high pressure sales tactics. It is the same story everywhere that timeshares are sold.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

So true cowtown. We have them up here on Vancouver Island, different approach than in Mexico, but overall the underhanded tactics. I guess if someone really wanted to buy a timeshare the worst place would be while you are in Maz or another destination. You can pick these things up for pennies on the dollar if you are serious about purchasing one, being sold by the folks who got sucked in while on their vacation.

Rocklin, CA
Level Contributor
126 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

I too had a bad experience. Nothing like you all have reported. During the long (over 2 hours) presentation, the salesman was rude. At one point I said "no you lisaten to me! I have been listening to you for over 2 hours". He tried to talk over me and my husband said you will be respectful of my wife. He then calmed down for only a few minutes. He was again disrespectful to me and said "no listen to me I just had to listen to you". At which point I stood up and said I am leaving without my gift. My husband said take a walk with Mason. When I returned my husband was finishing up getting our gift and we left, never to return again.

Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: True story about Mayan Palace time share presentation...

The sweaping statements on here that every time sare presentation is high pressure scam tactic, mazatlan or elsewhere are a bit scary and full of gross over exagerations.

I have been on time share presentations in Mazatlan, and in the US and in neither did I feel any undue pressure, no more than a car salesman anyway. Nor did I purchase anything and in both instances I was interested, the deal just didn't fit when I ran the numbers.

Yes there a bad people in every business, but to generalize like that is just as bad.