We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Westjet Vacations,

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Westjet Vacations,

I'm typing this exactly as I'm reading it and I'm a bit confused here about the ratings of the hotels.

I picked up a Westjet Vacations book on the return flight home and decided to check out Mazatlan.

It seems like Westjet is now charging a fortune IF you just book a flight but if you book a package....well.....just read this!!!!

El Cid Castilla ( rated 4 stars )

$809 per person all inclusive. Book by Oct 31 and save $480 per couple. For travel between Jan 2 and April 30

El Cid Marina ( rated 4.5 stars )

$929 per person ( early booking bonus but doesn't specify what it is )

El Cid Granada ( rated 3.5 stars )

$709 per person ( also unspecified early booking bonus )

Also all inclusive as is the Marina above

Hotel Playa Mazatlan ( rated 3.5 stars )

$579 per person.....also early booking bonus....non AI, BUT I PAID MORE just for my flight. I'm spitting bullets now!!!

Las Flores ( rated 3 stars )

$539 per person

Listen to THIS one.

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan ( rated 4 stars )

Early booking bonus gets you $320 back per couple and it's ONLY

$669 each!!! And you have from Jan to Dec of 2011 to use it.

Bueblo Bonito EB ( rated 4.5 stars )

Early booking bonus is $100 per couple and it's $589

Luna Palace and Oceano Palace give you $60 and $40 early booking bonus but they only cost $499

I think I've just solved my expensive flight dilemma. Book a package and throw away the hotel part.

I'm going to phone them right now to complain about my crappy cheese plate anyway so I'll book also.

Edited: 20 October 2010, 23:50
Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Westjet Vacations,

What you said Gillian...".I think I've just solved my expensive flight dilemma. Book a package and throw away the hotel part."....is something a lot of folks do. This is not a exlusive to Westjet.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,724 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Westjet Vacations,

I would just check again, sometimes the prices are just what is not in the brochure. Just my experience, although I know I pay more for leaving from Saskatoon in the high season. Those sound pretty low. We are paying $2500 each for 2 weeks at the Royal Villas AI, during high season, have sure paid more for Cabo,etc, but, we have fallen in love with Mazatlan, and will now do this annually.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
13,020 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Westjet Vacations,

All tour operators have the same type of thing happen at times....it is frustrating, I totally agree.

Sometimes it is cheaper to book a package than air-only....and yes, it sucks.

I have not yet done the 'pay for the package and then stay somewhere else' trick, although if that turned out to be the best-case scenario financially, we would do it.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Westjet Vacations,

Gillian - you are absolutely right! Checked Nov and one week EP is 709 plus tax - total 830 - a much better deal than over $750 one way for a flight only!!!

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Westjet Vacations,

We paid $1310 taxes in each for two weeks at the Royal Villas from Saskatoon Dec 8-22 The travel agent told us that the non AI was actually more expensive than what we paid for AI.

Gary

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Westjet Vacations,

I was going to go in December to be with my Dad over Christmas and I thought the flights wouldn't be that bad but they are!!!

So December is not happening. As for Feb/March.....the flights prices are horrendous. I met a Westjet flight attendant this last trip who was a relative of some people I know who were there at the same time as us.

She said that when it says ( 3,5, seats remaining at this price ) in blue....it means that the lowest price is posted and it will NOT go down.

I know that I shouldn't believe everything I hear and I don't.....thank god! BUT when it is coming from an employee of the company I would assume that she knows what she's talking about.

Also....when I checked those packages I posted about, they told me that if I wanted to go for 3 or 4 weeks I'd have to add the hotel part for the additional weeks so it would end up being more expensive anyway. My plan was to book the Luna Palace package for $499 and I thought I could just extend the return flight but apparently I can't.

Anyway, I'm not going to drive myself mental by worrying about it. There are 3 couples of us going at approx. the same time and we are going to take turns checking for flights. We all have everyones passport info etc. and whoever gets the flight will book it for all six of us and then be paid back the next day.

Also, my car hatched so I'm livid about that....not that it is related to flights but when something goes wrong it seems like everything does.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Westjet Vacations,

Being a very frugal person, I have checked into these "cheap flights" in the past & have yet to have one that works for us.

O-well airmiles & our timeshare work great, under $350 p.p. r.t from Seattle & $399 for a week in a studio at P.B. Maz.or P.B. Emerald Bay isn't bad.

8. Re: Westjet Vacations,

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 06:22
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan