We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
479 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Thought I'd write up a few things that anyone coming to PB EB again will find this year.

First off, if own a time-share week(s), the 10% owner's discount is no longer in effect. So if you plan on doing a lot of eating and drinking here, expect your bill to be 10% higher.

Also, there are no longer paper towels in the suites, and the nightly turn-down service is history, too. So you won't get to collect all those delicious candies for a week. LOL

And if you're a smoker, ALL suites are now non-smoking.

And another restaurant report -- this one a good one. Six of us went to Los Zarapes last night, and as it has been in the past the service and food was very good. No complaints.

So far, the above, Chilli's (twice visited already) and La Bruja have been top notch. Only bad experience to date has been Diego's.

The weather has been outstanding. We even turned off the AC in the room and leave one window open. Each day, a nice cool breeze comes off the ocean. Temps on the streets in the Golden Zone are a bit warmer, but not obnoxious warm because the humididy is fairly low.

And for you golfers, Estrella Del Mar is in tip-top shape. We played Fri. at the sepecial rate of $35 each. I can't say I enjoyed the golf much, but the coures was nice. LOL

Any questions???

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Forgot:

The late afternoon Happy Hour is also history. The only HH is between noon and 1.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Hmmm, very interesting. Last March at PBMaz we noticed they were no longer giving the 10% discount to owners which was a real disappointment. We did have the turn-down service with chocolates however. Maybe we'll find that is also gone on our next trip in March. Really surprised about he happy hour too. Also, how do they enforce the no-smoking rule?

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

"Also, how do they enforce the no-smoking rule?"

Obviously I don't know what the PBEB does, but a fairly common hotel technique to "encourage" non-smoking is to announce an enormous extra cleaning charge applied to your bill if smoke is detected in your room. It gets charged directly to your credit card, and your challenge through the card company is pretty messy when the hotel points out that you were warned, and the charge is therefore legitimate.

Now I suppose you could challenge the hotels claim about the smoke, but that gets complicated, and I believe the technique is "persuasive" enough that compliance stays pretty high.

We ran a non-smoking bed and breakfast for many years, and most people were very nice........!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

I think that non-smoking onthe outer walkways or balconies(doors closed to rooms to keep thing out of doors) is easy enough, the resort is NOT non-smoking totally. Heck, go the beach and light up. and 10% or not, no need to eat/drink at PBEB, just shuttle to town/GZ and be happy. Buy stuff and keep it in your room (cerveza, for example) and who cares about Happy hour? It's easy to get aroun things to save if one needs to, no prob.

Quote from niels : "Obviously I DON"T KNOW (so why post) what the PBEB does, but a fairly common hotel technique to "encourage" non-smoking is to announce an enormous extra cleaning charge applied to your bill if smoke is detected in your room."

As said, just don't smoke in the r oom, Go take a walk and have a cig, or quit. But you can smoke in Mex., don't fret. PBEB people DO know.....

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

"Quote from niels : "Obviously I DON"T KNOW (so why post)...."

Ah well, I see Larry is back at his sniping again. Still can't spell either!

I posted because I thought it was useful background information, at least I tell people when I don't know something, as opposed to the vacuous drivel we sometimes see on here......

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Hi, tonyaz10,

I wonder if any of the happy hour and paper towel situations would change with more occupancy in the coming months? I mean maybe it's just a temp. thing, I can't imagine no Towels or napkins for little cleanups and for eating in maybe! Things are fluid in Mexico so who knows what will be. The no smoking in the suites is understandable for consideration of the next guests, I guess. Signs of the times anyway. But enjoy, and thanks for all youir updates!

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Susie,one of the greeting gals, told me the 10% deal is now gone because the peso supposedly had taken a real hit during the summer, so rather than raise prices, they ditched the owner discount. I expet it will never return.

We move operations to the PB Maz tomorrow. So I'll be able to post some updates as to what's happening there in RE: the turn-down, etc.

We ate at La Costa Marinara last night. Food & service was fine. It appears they have raised the prices a bit, however.

Incidentally, no smoking deal is BY LAW now. All hotels and restaurants supposedly included. Obviously, rooms with outside patios are the best option for smokers. For the faster suites at PB EB, hanging out a window so the smoke doesn't permeate the room is also an option.

As for enforcemnet, they have a smoke sniffer who knocks on the door unannounced. If he smells smoke, the room occupants must run 5 miles, swim 25 laps of the big pool and go to bed without dinner.

Edited: 24 October 2010, 19:37
Mazatlán
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

There is no law in Sinaloa that mandates that hotel rooms are non-smoking. It applies to public buildings and restaurants, bars, and the like.

Glendale, Arizona
Level Contributor
479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Only relating was the folks at the front desk told me upon check-in. So if it isn't true, take it up with the mangement. LOL

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Report From On The Ground At Pueblo Bonito EB

Hi, MazFoodie,

"It applies to public buildings and restaurants, bars, and the like." That would be "enclosed" buildings and restaurants, no? Not "open air" types? seems I have heard that to be the case. Thx.

tonyaz10: As far as the timeshare *owner* discounts at a resort I think it sounds like a breach of contract to do something like that. I would think it should be honored, an agreed discount? Must admit I don't know if Em. Bay has such contract clausess but sounds like it, must be a negotiated thing at purchase of TS?