We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First-part trip report

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
901 posts
33 reviews
First-part trip report

We arrived Monday, Nov 15th. Flight out of O'Hare uneventful but had to go thru the body-scanner. Arrived in Maz on-time. Purchased a cab ride ticket right outside customs and proceeded to get a cab. Time- share sharks right there and even tried to refund our ticket to go with them. No-way. Arrived at El-Cid! Room not ready so upgraded to a suite that over looks the el-moro pool and beach. Beautiful and very clean. Weather a little cooler than we are used to for this time a year but we are getting tanned. Occupancy very low. Restaurants, vendors, pulmonia drivers very concerned. we have never seen it like this. Alot of shops closed down. Very sad. Safety-not a concern. People are very friendly just like before. The only remarkable thing to report is two Americans or Canadians fighting over a parking spot outside Heather's place one morning. Imagine that. First night dinner at La Cueva de Leon. Very good. Had the coconut shrimp and beef mediallions. Bill $34 American dollars with a couple of cerveza's' and margarita's. Second night dinner at La Regional. It was okay but their mararita's are one of the best so far this trip. Third night at Te Amour Lucy's. Very good. I got the pork shank which could fed a family of 5 and husband had the ribeye which was excellent. Their rice and salad out of this world. Fourth night we went to Deigo's. Love the place. Had shared ribs and grilled shrimp in chile sauce=out of this world. Very busy. Very attentive waiters. We'll be going back. Last night, we went to the Seafarer at Costa Bonita. Very nice but very expensive. Weekend is here and el cid has more people. alot of locals came here on Friday. Hope business picks up for everyone. Cost for a pulmonia ride from el-cid to centro running 60 to 70 pesos one-way. Time-share sharks still jumping out of cars and vans. We were looking at the closed El-Faro and got accousted one day. Any-one with any information about El-Faro closing please let me know. That beach is beautiful. Can see the beach from el-cid marina. Would love to stay there if they re-open ever. Having a great time. We'll update again.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,773 posts
176 reviews
1. Re: First-part trip report

Sounds like a great time. I especially like the restaurant reports since I'm an eater!!!

Thanks for writing.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,694 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: First-part trip report

Excellent and informative report. It was cool in the evenings on Tues and Weds as we went to Venados baseball games and wore jackets.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
266 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: First-part trip report

Thanks for taking the time to write a trip report. One of my favorite reasons for visiting this site. Sounds like you had a good time. That was nice you were upgraded to El Moro. The rooms over there are really nice!

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: First-part trip report

Thanks for the informative trip report I am sad to hear that it is still quiet in Mazatlan. I worry about my many friends there. I am hoping business will pick up. I am going down in January and I can hardly wait! Sounds like you had good food to enjoy! Looking forward to your next installment of the trip report!!

Washington State
Level Contributor
305 posts
5. Re: First-part trip report

This is a great report with all the Restaurants we like.

The El Faro Hotel is closed and hopefully reopen with other name. However, I understand the poor people at the entrance need to be paid for many years they worked for the hotel. We will see if the problem get solved pretty soon.

My brother in law stayed at the hotel when it was named Camino Real some time ago. He said the rooms were dated but very clean. However, he said the ocean view was perfect !

I had the chance of having lunch at the Chiquita Banana long time ago and it was nice with a private beach.

I am glad you enjoyed my beautiful Mazatlan !

Edited: 24 November 2010, 02:33
6. Re: First-part trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2011, 06:17