We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Purple Onion-Three Amigos

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
966 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Purple Onion-Three Amigos

The bar formerly known as the Purple Onion reopened a few days ago. It is now called the Three Amigos. Mexican food and a ton of TV's.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

I'll have to give it a test run in May. Lots of TV's sounds good for watching sports!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

It's definitely had a face lift, and is colorful, bright and more modern. The special atmosphere of the palapa is gone, (IMHO) but there ARE more TV's, and plenty of waiters and waitresses, all dressed in bright orange shirts. They aren't permitting smoking inside or on the outside patio. Smokers were standing outside on the sidewalk.

There was quite a party yesterday, with all the CFL fans cheering on their teams. The green team even had some cheerleaders with pompoms, and they were having a blast. (We had stopped by quickly to have a look at the menus and check the score. )

The menu has a pretty good selection of appetizers, soups, and dessert, along with all the regular things you see on most menus here. I did notice that we should order any of the 4 soup choices off the Spanish menu. All 4 soups were slightly cheaper there than on the English menu. :-)

We wish them much success. It's so nice to see activity there again.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

Thanks for the info Mazzi. I hope those cheerleaders with pompoms weren't middle aged men! LOL

Ringsted,Iowa
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

Has anyone been to the new Three Amigos?? Is any of the Purple Onion staff working there?? What is the menu? Any input from anyone?

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

See Post #2. And no, it's all new staff, since this owner has no relation to the previous owner. The PO staff had long since moved on to other jobs by the time the new place opened.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

The new bar/restaurant HAD lots of TV's. Looks like they were all stolen :(

oem.com.mx/elsoldemazatlan/notas/n1897482.htm

Hopefully, they have the money or insurance coverage to replace them.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,252 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

Sorry to hear of the theft of the T.V.s.

It is hard enough to get a new business off the ground without this kind of thing happening.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

Hopefully they will replace the TVs soon as I plan to visit the new place in May. I hate thieves in any country!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

They put replacement TV's in the next day. Monday night Football and all. :-)

Langley
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Purple Onion-Three Amigos

We went on Dec 22 fully expecting to find the Purple Onion. The place was mt although they had tons of staff circling about. We decided to give it a try when the dj, an American gent told us it was pretty good and taking him at his word we sat down. The service was almost too good as the waiters tried hard to please us. No sooner would you finish a beer when 2 guys would be bringing you new one...l'm not complaining just telling you what happened.

The food was amazing...my wife had ribs and I had the half chicken. Both were well prepared and very tasty. Large portions as well. I went up and told the cooks that I was very pleased.

We stayed for an hour after we ate enjoying the music and people watching.

I highly recommend 3 Amigos.