We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
405 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

Anyone have recent exchange rates at any of the Cambios? Also we are traveling with some people that will not have ATM cards so from what I have been reading the Cambios would be the next best option for exchanging US to Pesos? Are there Cambios still in several areas of the GZ and other places? Anyone have recent experience exchanging US in any of the banks? If so, where and what rate?

Thanks everyone! Enjoying all the reads and counting down the days! Need our fix!

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

I saw 11.30 & 11.20 yesterday at 2 different places. I think 11-11.50 is a good range to use as of late. You will get about a peso per USD higher from the ATM machines.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
1,858 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

I got over $12 last week at a Bancomer in El Centro. Process was a bit more onerous with them photocopying the passport, typing a lot of information into the computer. Previous visits to other locales were easier with the hole in the wall camibos who didn't even want ID.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

The banks always give a better rate than the Casa de Cambios. Their rate is usually very close to the ATM rate. The problem is that many banks stopped taking dollars although it appears that Bancomer, in Centro at least, has begun to exchange dollars again - I believe up to $300 per person per day - and you must provide a copy of your passport.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

"You will get about a peso per USD higher from the ATM machines." Seems it's always been about that, a peso +/- difference; good rule of thumb, MazHelp.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

When I was down in November, I walked to 8 or 9 different banks in the Golden Zone...only one would cash US dollars for pesos...and they needed my passport, a copy of it (I needed to supply it, they would NOT copy it!!), and a copy of my airline ticket...and only between 9 and noon.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

Not sure why people don't just buy their pesos at their home bank and bring them with them. I have found this the best way the last couple of times of travel to Maz. I do have a debit card and use it for more pesos, but if you don't have the debit card, just buy the pesos before you go.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

I did that in the past just to have enough for a taxi and the first day/evening, and THEN used my ATM debit card from then on. About the same cost to see my bank before the trip as visit a cambio. Over a week or two or more, it all averages out to great exchange. Some people want to save every nickel, though, and THAT answers your question. That's fine, but the convenience is worth it to some, like yourself. You can head to the curb, get to your place asap, which is great! Once in Maz on the ground, I cannot stand to delay at all! Show me my room and let me at it! Anymore as I said I keep some pesos for the next time.

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
405 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

Thanks everyone! We do keep some pesos each year as well, but with newbies joining us this time around, they will need to experience the exchange too and so thought I would get an idea of rate etc. In the past we have always went to a bank not far from the Panama Bakery and never had a problem, but I had to provided a passport copy last year too. I was just concerned about the chatter on here about banks not accepting US money anymore for echange. Recent experience is also more helpful! Thank you.

9. Re: Recent Exchange Rates at Cambios?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 June 2011, 07:27