We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Topic
El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Hi....

Anyone stayed here of late and could fill me on what they thought and we can expect. It looked like the reviews in general were pretty positive. Also, is the access to the beach pretty easy, food quality...? Thanks..Matt

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

We have stayed at Castilla for years and we are booked there again. It serves our needs very well.

We like the amenities of the El Cids and you have access to all of them. The pools can't be beat and beach access is great. The pools and beach are just steps from many of the rooms. There is food and beverage service at both the beach and pools.

There are so many good and reasonably priced restaurants close by that we don't eat at the hotel.

That is one of the best points of the Castilla, location. There is so much within easy walking distance and all forms of transportation are right out the front door.

http://www.elcid.com/castilla_beach/

Edited: 03 January 2011, 03:37
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Thanks Cabanabob...

Can you speak to the rooms, we selected a Pool View King room in the smaller building. The photos of the rooms on the site look very nice but am curious to hear from someone who's actually been there. Thanks.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

A pool view room will be in one of the two wings heading toward the ocean or the area east of the El Moro pool.

All of these areas only have four floors.

The lobby is on floor two, pools and beach are floor one. That is why I like it. When I want to go to the pool, beach or street I don't even have to wait for an elevator.

Here is another overhead view.

wikimapia.org/…b

Lacombe, AB,
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

We choose that type of room each time we stay at the Castilla, Great view over looking the pool, and you can still see the ocean, If you are on the 3rd or 4th floor. As for the room, we look at it as "it's just a room" nothing too fancy, king bed, table and chairs, TV. I do believe they have recieved a fresh coat of paint. On our last stay we turned down an upgrade to the 12th floor in the tower, was the room any better? a little bigger, and a view higher up, but we like the 3rd and 4th floor, facing the ocean, between the Castilla and the Moro, No wait for elevators, always a plus.

Edited: 03 January 2011, 04:45
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

I always stay at the Moro in a suite but the Castilla rooms are quite adequate. As a previous poster said" it's just a room." The food at El Cid is OK but nothing special. Thegood news is that there are a plethora of great restaraunts within walking distance of El Cid. The beach is wonderful and you can get on the beach at El Cid and walk in either direction to see lots of great stuff. I think you will really appreciate the location of this resort.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
27 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Thanks all for the feedback on the hotel, rooms, and beach access etc.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
255 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Hello Fishfinder, sorry to be so late in replying. Haven't had a chance to check the forum for about 10 days. I was there last Feb and put in one of the rooms you described. It was on the 2nd floor. It was pretty small, so I asked to be moved to the tower, which they did. That room was much larger and had a better view of the water. If you haven't booked yet, look into the El Cid El Moro which adjoins the Castilla. Much roomier and comfortable with small kitchen facilities. It will be worth a few dollars more. Either way, both Castilla and El Moro are great properties. I also saw you posted a question about deep sea fishing. We have gone 8 out of the last 10 years in February. Don't get your expectations set too high. They always tell us Feb is one of the slower months. We always see Marlin and circle them, but never hooked one. A couple of times we came back with several tuna and once with a 25lb Dorado. If you are fortunate to catch something, suggest taking a filet to a local restaurant and have them prepare it for you the same day. We used the restaurant on the beach connected to the Balboa Tower and were very pleased. I can't recommend any charter services because we haven't done well the past few years, however I read some posts this year recommending "Jim's Sportfishing" and "Inside Outside Charters". We will probably try one of those this year.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

..."so I asked to be moved to the tower..." Either you mean El Moro, or higher up in the Castilla. The Castilla is still not quite "El Moro", not by a longshot. Quote: "That room was much larger and had a better view of the water. If you haven't booked yet, look into the El Cid El Moro which adjoins the Castilla." A great choice, IMO.

It is possible to be in the Castilla and not be able to see much of the pool even, on the first floor. The Ocean view? Forget it, mostly, in the lower floors. The El Moro can give you views of the pool, Ocean, AND of much of Mazatlan as well! MUCH roomier, and if you like, I would think they can get you a lower floor so you (as was said) can "skip" the elevator, which I agree is very handy, I mean let's face it.

Check some of tonyrivera's posts and pictures (just click on his name at post #5 of this thread) for reasons why he likes El Moro. No camparison, hands down, other than a few bucks; and worth it. :)

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Here is my video of the El Moro and Castilla hotel and the restaurants and area. Enjoy!!

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00b2-9334-5643

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: El Cid Castilla hotel Mazatlan

Tx, Judy; forgot you had that made up! :)