We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MasterCard's new security policy...

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,689 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
MasterCard's new security policy...

Thought I would post this from what I just learned.

I called into MasterCard to give them dates/destination for a upcoming trip as I always do. They now ask you for the phone number you are at, is that your home phone?...and if it is, they hang up and call YOU back. Then they give you the collect call number for them in case something goes wrong with your card...lose it, stolen, etc (it was different than the one printed on the back of your card in that tiny print (!!!)...they record the dates and destination of your trip...and then give you a reference number to carry with you in a different spot than where you carry your financial cards.

If you have problems and need to phone MasterCard, you NEED this reference for them to open a case about your card. Don't have it...might not have anyone to help you was her response.

Interesting!! She said that due to the increased credit card fraud that is happening everywhere, it has come to this! (I AM NOT JUST talking about Mexico here).

Always make sure whatever financial cards you plan to use, credit, debit or ATM's...that you notify the financial source...or you may only get the first use out of that card, and it will be stopped...or maybe not even a single use!

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

Good to know stuff! Thanks. Not long ago I had some charges appear on a fairly new card that no one could have known about as yet. Overseas charges! All reversed and no harm to me, but as you said, it is a global thing; too bad, but it is reality; just like sunshine in Maz....................... :)

Arizona
Level Contributor
89 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

To elaborate on the above infomation given; I had a recent conversation with a programmer friend involved in the banking industry (fraud division).

He mentioned that scammers have the ability to show phony phone numbers (i..e caller ID). The banks are now watching the 'routing' of the call, if anything looks suspicious they are required to call back.

The primary concern seems to be a rash of scammers trying to 'activate' new cards. I'm not sure where the information is obtained, but as surfnturfn's post indicates they seem to know a lot about new accounts.

I think Judy's post is right on the money! It's more important than ever to let the bank know where you'll be. If the bank doesn't have this 'verified' information, trying to resolve an issue from out of state or country is going to raise some red flags.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

We were watching an interesting program on CNBC tonight. It was called "Big Brother, Big Business".

It showed how easy it is for the crooks, the Government, and literally millions of others to access your credit card info. Debit cards are worse as they link to your bank info.

The credit card companies are barely able to keep up with the crooks. They are cloning cards, magnetic strip and all, and trying to activate them.

I am glad I live in an area where plastic is not a way of life.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

This is certainly good advice. My AMEX card says to not bother noifying them but I always notify my debit and major credit card providers.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

Very interesting....thank you Judy.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,022 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

And for our Canadian readers, I just completed my "card" stuff for our upcoming trip.

Credit cards:

You MUST contact your bank. They will want to know your destination city, the dates, and any known major expenditures expected, such as hotel charges. Make sure you get the collect phone number, not 800, in the case of a problem, or in the case of an unexpected major charge while in Mazatlan. Really no change from last year, and no additional security measures that I could discern.

Bank/debit cards:

Mixed message here. One bank didn't seem concerned, and told me the same story as last year, that the card is like cash, and you should look after it as if it were cash. Your reduce your risk by watching your daily withdrawal limits.

My other bank did want to know destination city and dates. This was the only change I picked up from last year.

Once again, make sure you have the collect phone number in the case of trouble. You don't want any additional hassles if you get card trouble!

The most important thing for everyone is to check with each bank and card. Clearly the requirements are changing from time to time, and from bank to bank, and I wouldn't rely on one persons experience, even mine!

Care-free travels to all......

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
7. Re: MasterCard's new security policy...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:23