We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Instant Cash Facilities

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Albert Lea MN USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Topic
Instant Cash Facilities

I like to use my Visa debit card to obtain cash while travelling. One, I have to carry less cash into the country; two, I have a record of transactions; and three, I get the best exchange rate. Last time I went to Mazatlan, I was able to use the IC facility at the Bancomer bank on Camaron Sabalo a few blocks from the Playa Mazatlan hotel.

Is this still an option and the way to go?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

Yes. You'll still find Bancomer in many locations. The debit card rules. :)

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

Still the very best way to go. One note is that some of the ATM card banks now make it mandatory that you let them know IN ADVANCE when you are going to be traveling out of country and how long you are going to be there. If you don't, they can (and will) suspend your debit card, something that would be a rude shock if you're far from home, so be certain to do so. You don't want to spend your vacation fussing with your bank by long distance!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

"The debit card rules. :)"

+1 on that! I like to use the Bancomer ATM two blocks south of El Cid because it's air conditioned. You won't have a problem finding one.

Seattle Wa
Level Contributor
119 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

Visa debit card is the way to go, we bank with Bank of America and use the Bano Santander as we pay zero fees for our transactions, We notified our bank prior to our trip and we were about to withdraw $ 12,000 P ( $ 1,000 USD) per day at an exchange rate that varied daily but was always in the 12.2 to 12.3 range. Our friends did not bank with BA and paid around $ 32P ( $2.80 USD )per transaction.

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
137 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

Is there still a Scotiabank affiliated ATM @ Mega?

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

There are many instant cash facilities in the Golden Zone. I recommend using the ones in the banks. Also, the ones located in the main commercial plazas or grocery stores: Mega, Sam's, Gran Plaza, Soriana. They all belong to banks and usually the fees are lower than others. Some people don't agree, but it's good to have your credit/debit card along and use it when the establishment allows, as far as the card slipping device is visible. Most restaurants will bring the device to your table.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,339 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

Make sure to keep a little extra cash on the side, just in case. I went to 2 different banks with 2 different cards with no luck. Told me wrong pin for 1 and insuffient funds on the other. Finally the 3rd one worked. Was strange as a few days earlier I had no problems at the 1st one.

8. Re: Instant Cash Facilities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2011, 06:20