We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break?

Victoria, BC
Level Contributor
19 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Spring Break?

Heading to Maz Mar 12-26 with kids 10 to 14, and just wondering what to expect.

We are staying at the El Cid Castilla which for us has always been very family friendly, but I`m a bit worried about the stereotypical Spring Break crowd and their exploits.

Any input most appreciated!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break?

Mazatlan does get spring breakers but not all that many of them.

I have met many of them and most are fine young adults. The ones that want the wild time and exploits you are thinking of go to Cancun or South Padre Island.

You will hardly notice them at the Castilla.

Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,618 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break?

Mazatlan, although having spring breakers for many years have never had the unruly crowds of Palm Springs/Ft. Lauderdale. They are spread out over several weeks so there are not a mob for a week.

The ones I've met have been very respectful. And they party half the night and sleep till noon, so they are barely visible. Come and enjoy.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break?

We've been in Maz. a couple times during spring break & found most of the actios was between Joes oyster bar & Valentinos.

Did have a very roudy crowd at Luna Palace one year ( we were at P.B. & could hear them most of the night ) but over all never saw or heard anything a 10-12 year old shouldn't see or hear.

Castilla is next to the new Senior Frogs so it may be a little noisey at times, maybe the Marina would be a better choice for your trip this time.

Edited: 15 January 2011, 16:28
Still have questions?Post your own question so other travellers can help.
Ask a question
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break?

Stayed at the Costa two weeks in March of 09 and three weeks in March of 10. No problems with the spring breakers at all. I walked the beach from Joe's Oyster bar to Pueblo Bonito everyday and say very little sign of the spring breakers. Most activities were at Joe's and that is a ways from El Cid's . Not sure what happens at night but you and your kids should have no problem with them during the day.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break?

I think you'd be OK at Castilla, but for "at night" and early morning, you'd LOVE the Marina. Quiet, peaceful place. It's an easy (and FREE) van hop to the other El Cids at any moment, even at very early morning to late at night from what I have seen, and the kids will enjoy it there, at the Marina, and at Castilla and El Moro too.

The "folks" will indeed love Marina El Cid. Period. If you don't stay there, at least walk in and check it out. Very nice to just view, as I now know.

Edited: 17 January 2011, 00:39
Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
551 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break?

Spring breakers? Not even many tourists over spring break period last few years Fewer tourists here this year and mostly canadians. Been here since mid-November and the only busy period was over Christmas and they were mexican families on vacation.

Level Contributor
97 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break?

Feel comfortable staying at the Castilla. Their pools and layout are great and will keep your young family members well occupied. Last year we took our kids and all went really well. Francisco at the pool was excellent with his service, and made our kids feel special.

I was once a teenage spring-breaker myself (in Mazatlan) and met many other respectful, exuberant young people. Met alot of respectful, exuberant old people too, come to think of it!! That trip is what made me fall in love with this wonderful place and its lovely residents.

Relax and enjoy, you'll love this place.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break?

Agreed. Most places in the area are enjoyable. For kids Castilla will do for sure, like for you, tropigirl9, as I ( and many, many others) have always said. Not my own 1st choice, but El Cid is El Cid; good folks, fun places.

9. Re: Spring Break?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2012, 05:21