We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Hola!!

I am back from Mazatlan after two weeks. I left on Monday, January 3rd at 0930 in the morning and arrived in Mazatlan at 1230 local time. I went direct via Westjet. I got through the airport customs and time shark den witout a hitch. I caught a taxi to the hotel. If you don't know how to catch a taxi go outside the airport where there is a booth and pay for the taxi then you are good to go. This is faster than taking the shuttle.

I stayed at the Las Flores Beach resort as I always do in an oceanview kitchenette on the 11th floor. I like having a kitchenette for the fridge stove etc. the best thing though is the view from the balcony and the sound of the ocean waves at night when they lull you to sleep.

After unpacking a bit I hit on of my favorite places, Panchos!!! I had a wonderful lunch then hit the beach! The weather was warm and I felt myself thawing out!!! I can not remeber where we went for supper that night but I know it was delicious all the food was good there.

tuesday was alsowarm and I sat down on the beach for the day and we went to munchkins for supper. they have all you can eat ribs for 100 peso. My friend enjoyed them they were huge and tasty.

On Wednesday it was cool in the morning, So we decided to rent a pulmonia for a couple hours and go downtown. My friend had never been to Mazatlan before so we thought we could show her the sights. We negotiated a price with one of the drivers and got a city tour for 500 peso. We went to El Mirador, the cliff divers, Icebox hill, El Faro, the Cathedral etc. Time well spent it is always interesting things change from year to year and the beauty is still stunning after being gone for a year. By the time we got back the beach was warmer and we hung out there for the afternoon. We decided to take in the entertainment at Heathers in the evening they had a Kenny rogers impersonator who was actually quite good. The food was also good. Heather cme out and chatted with us for a while too.

We were supposed to go on the boat on Thursday but it was very windy and cool so we decided to postpone it. I will tell you about that later. This turned into a shopping day because of the weather.

Went to Gus Y Gus to see the band and met friends there in the evening. In fact I went to Gus Y Gus every night and met my old friends and made new ones.

I hope this report is not getting too long. but please bear with me..

Friday was a beach day. For the evening I went downtown to Pedro & Lolas for dinner I had Filet Mignon and it was delicous. There was music wherever you turned around and it was fabulous. The atmosphere was nice and felt safe down there. I was glad I went.

Saturday was quiet and I think it was cool. Sorry my memory is fuzzy!! But we had a nice dinner at Vitorre the Italian restaurant by the playa. The pasta is soooo delicious!!

Sunday we all went and did our own thing but all dressed up and went to Margaritas for dinner. Maragaritas is near Las Flores. I had the filet mignon with mushroom sauce and this stood out to me as one of the best meals. I also had the tortilla soup which was absolutely tasty and filling. The food here is always good.

Monday marks the end of one week. I met a friend at Tres Amigos it is a new place and is located where the Purple Onion near the Oceano Palace but across the street. I had the French dip sand wich special which included the sandwich fries and two beer for 85 peso. It was good. I stayed and watched the band who played 80s rock and roll and they were entertaining and good.

I will sum up the rest of the week. Wednesday we went to Stone Island to Letys. We made our way to the water ferry on a pulmonia went across the harbor and walked to Letys'. I missed Lety's presence but the service and food were still good. We had shrimp and coconut shrimp. The coconut shrimp was unbelievable!! Fresh and so tasty. I also had a coco loco mmmmmmmm.

Thursday we went for a sail on MI Casa with Eduardo. It was cool that day but we anchored on the lee side of Deer Island and had a lunch he prepared. It was a great day on the water and Eduardo is so knowledgable. If you want to do this excursion check it out in the things to do section of Mazatlan on tripadvisor. Look under Mi Casa Vijaes

Friday the one thing I did was go to Cilantros for dinner at Pueblo Bonito. We had the seafood platter and lobster!!! It was very good to say the least. The service was superb as well.

I hope this trip report was not too long. If you have questions on anything. PM me I will be happy to help.

Some other bits of information I learned:

Lorena's Secret near Dairy Queen gives awesome pedicures and they are 180 peso.

I got cell phone at USACell near Gus Y Gus I found this very handy. I was able to call Canada and it was 349 peso. I added 100 peso to it and had plenty of time. If you want to call Canada or the us from a Mexican cell phone dial 001 area code and phone number. Very easy and convenient!! I will see if I can use the same phone next year when I go back.

All in all a great trip I never felt unsafe. I enjoyed the people of Mazatlan very much and will miss them until I return

Salud

Mazatlanfan

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Thank you for your report. I enjoyed reading it. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Thank you for your trip report. Awesome! When are you coming back?

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

I guess I forgot to say I am back!!!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

I enjoyed reading your trip report. It has some excellent recommendations for other visitors.

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
137 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Did u make an appt at Lorenas Secret or will we be ok just as walkins?

There will be 2 of us & will probably get a mani & pedi.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Thanks for the report. It was a very enjoyable read and makes me yearn for my turn in May!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

I think Mazzi meant, "When are you coming back (to Mazatlan)?" I bet you will be asap, no? :)

I liked your report, thanks.

Edited: 20 January 2011, 16:41
Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Lorena's secret took walk ins Beacuse she wasn't busy. If she is busy she may ask you to schedule an appointment. I want to return to Mazatlan in April but I dno't know if I can swing it. Otherwise be back next year.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

Kim,

The cheapest flights are usually in June and October ( early October before the snowbirds start going )

May is also a lot cheaper than April and the weather is GORGEOUS in May.

Just a suggestion. I'm talking about Westjet.

10. Re: Trip report Jan-3-17,2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 02:40