We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zero Tolerance

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Topic
Zero Tolerance

As expected the new mayor is going to be cracking down on drinking in public - especially along the Malecon:

www.noroeste.com.mx/publicaciones.php…

Bars were closed last week for staying open past their permitted hours and a number of people were arrested for drinking in public. Good move IMO.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,604 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zero Tolerance

Good...now if he can just solve that pesky security problem...

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Zero Tolerance

LOL Mazexp. The new security forces that arrived these past 2 weeks are certainly making their presence known. I've seen them everywhere I've gone in the past few days.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Zero Tolerance

This was something I have to admit was a real eye opener. We spent a Friday night at a cool bar in Olas Altas, we stayed until around 1:00 am. Jumped in pulmonia to take us back to our hotel. Along the malecon there were hundreds of cars lined up, young folks partying. They were obviously drinking and there was no hiding it, the beer and booze was sitting atop the cars and out in the open. I asked our driver about drinking and driving, and he just laughed and said, yes it happens alot with no real consequences to the offender. As we were discussing this we were almost sideswiped by an old pickup full of drunks.I think driving at night on the weekends would not be such a good idea.

Cracking down on this is a very good thing!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,382 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zero Tolerance

Not just driving...walking can be dangerous too!! Saw a car jump the sidewalk as it was going too fast...and obviously just drunk kids in it...always give the cars the right of way...and space!! haha The police sure came in a hurry as well as the ambulances...more than just a hangover for those kids...

Mazhelp...what is the permitted hour?? Different for each operation?

Edited: 24 January 2011, 19:04
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Zero Tolerance

"Cracking down on this is a very good thing!" ..but won't last. :) I dare say a person who is discreet with a beer along the Malecon won't be "bothered", all legalities aside. It's still a resort town, right? ;) As said though, YMMV.

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Zero Tolerance

The closing time varies by establishment - the latest closing time is 4am, but most close at 11 or 12. What the mayor wants to do is crack down on drinking in public, and I do think this change will last at least through this mayor's term.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Zero Tolerance

I assume certain Holidays would carry on as usual, though? I mean, tradition and all....sorry, just that I haven't read any press on it. Will check the link you posted. :)

Edited: 25 January 2011, 17:36
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,818 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Zero Tolerance

This behind the scenes stuff doesn't really affect the tourist crowd much, but permits to sell liquor can be obtained, or hours extended, for a special event or the weekend or whatever. There are various types of liquor permits. Not sure what the new "mayor" thinks he will do differently this time, than he did in his past stints in that chair, in order to make this stick. :-)

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Zero Tolerance

Easy Mazzi, you just do what he did last weekend. Have the cops arrest a bunch of people on the Malecon who are drinking or drunk. Won't take long before people get the idea that drinking in public is a bad idea. Under his prior leadership, the big drinking parties you see on the Malecon were virtually non-existent.

Of course, I think all rules are suspended for Carnaval & Semana Santa :)

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Zero Tolerance

FYI – Our "new" mayor tried to close all the lap-dance bars/strip clubs the first time he was in office. That lasted about a month! The second time he was in office he "tried" to get the "drinking in public" thing done, but all he succeeded in doing was losing the majority of our Spring Break tours, and the Mazatlecos continued to drink in public just as they always have. I expect that his "crackdown" on drinking in public this time (again, just shortly before Spring Break) will fail in the same manner the last one did, except that not too many of the Spring Break tours have returned to Mazatlán, so it's the angry Mazatlán public that will cause it to fail.

These "crackdowns" on any law (the last was on the wearing seat-belts law) only last as long as the police are willing to "crackdown". It took exactly two months for the seat-belt "crackdown" to end, then it was back to exactly the way it has always been.

Edited: 26 January 2011, 23:39
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan