We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Red light, Green light system

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Red light, Green light system

Hi I have herd a little bit about the red light , green light system customs uses at the Mazatlan airport, can anyone give me a little bit more information on this please? Also whan I bought my Mexican pesos her in Canada (sorry I did it now by the way) I was getting just a little over 8 cents to the Mexican Pesos. What is the exchange rate at the ATM's and Mazatlan banks that I would receive? I have herd that it is as hight as 10 cents to the pesos? Can anyone tell me please. Thanks, Westerncanuck.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Red light, Green light system

I think the red-green light system is used throughout Mexico.

At Mazatlan, you get off the plane, proceed to the immigration desk to get your visa straightened away, then on to pick up your bags, go to the customs people where you will have your stuff sent through the scanners on a belt, then to a final check where you will be asked to press a button. If the green light comes on you're good to go. If the red light comes on, you coulod be searched. None of this is in the least bit difficult or intimidating...unless of course.....!

The red-green system is supposed to be "random", but I have always suspected there is a little fellow sitting behind a one-way window looking at you, and pressing the button!

Exchange rates. Twelve to the dollar is good, eleven and less not so good.

So your eight cents to the peso is pretty good. I haven't had a chance to check my accounts yet to see what I got yesterday at the |ATM's.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Red light, Green light system

Just checked. Things must have moved in the last few days, I got 11.52 pesos to the dollar....that's Canadian.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Red light, Green light system

red light you get searched, green light you dont.....pretty simple really.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Red light, Green light system

Nothing to worry about and when I've seen the red light come on, after you walk through the "portal" scanner yourself, they have always just done a fairly quick check of your baggage, not of you personally. As neils said, though, "...unless of course...!". As long as all is on the up and up with you, a red light will just take another minute or two of your time. :)

Hugo MN
Level Contributor
151 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Red light, Green light system

Quick story about the red/green light...a few years ago, husband got the red light. He had a stick of vension sausage in his carry on. The inspector, said "meat" so quick thinking husband, said no, no...deer...inspector then smiled and said "OK"...Everyone was happy when we could share it around the pool!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
10,943 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Red light, Green light system

Seems to be heavy on the red light here!! And they do a real thorough search...into each bag...they were upset that I would not lift my heavy suitcase up on the counter...but they will do it for you... There were two counters set up when I came through and there was a waiting line!! But if there is nothing of interest...it goes pretty quick...after they figure out how to unbelt your holding strap!!! Always a mystery to me...for someone to be doing this day in and day out...and they just don´t know how those straps work!! hummmm

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Red light, Green light system

Almost afraid to say this, but we have never got the red light in Mazatlan. Don't know any friends that have as well.....

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Red light, Green light system

I got 11.75 pesos at Scotiabank ATM on Sunday. If you have Scotiacard you dont get charged the 5 dollar transaction fee by your bank and 23 peso fee by the mexican bank if it is not Scotiabank.

Red or green light is random. Flew in at 600 on a Saturday night and there was only one scanner in operation...seems there were more green than red that night -due to lack of staff?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Red light, Green light system

"Almost afraid to say this, but we have never got the red light in Mazatlan. Don't know any friends that have as well....."

Ditto. Don't worry just knock on wood (my skull available)...

ottawa,ontario
Level Contributor
137 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Red light, Green light system

Sombrerouno

Where is the Scotia ATM located?