We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Tunel...I'm curious

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
El Tunel...I'm curious

I have not read anything about the El Tunel restaurant for quite awhile. Are they still open? If so, I am wondering if anyone has been there in the not too distant past. If so, how was the food? Would you go back again? Were their prices still very reasonable?

One more question...last year they were not open at the time of day we were down there, so if you know what their hours are, please post them!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

All i've heard are good reports. I don't recall reading of a closure, just maybe when sidewalk work was being done? I think there is no outside seating, which bothers me, but a quick dinner (I think they are only open later?) and back to the plaza. No real problem I admit. :) I'll be looking for corrections, I'm kind of winging it here from what I've read/seen.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,853 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

Yes, you are winging it again. LOL

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

Yes, they are still open. Yes, the prices are still reasonable. The food is the same as it was in the past. The restaurant was remodeled a little ways back and the improvements are quite a positive.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

Don't know what that was all about, Mazzi. Don't care. But I think you are chatting, and rather not in a friendly way at that. Goodness.

Thanks for the response, MazHelp, pretty much as I figured for El Tunel. I guess the remodeling led to the question earlier about "closure". :)

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,911 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

It could also be that (And I hate to admit it, but I haven't been in there in a long while and I love the place) they did not open until about 6 p.m. in the past. That may have changed. Their 'Asada a la Plaza' has always been fantastic. The place is far from fancy (It is “The Tunnel” after all) but clean, authentic, very inexpensive, with large portions and really good ‘Sinaloense’ food. After all, they have been at that location what, fourty five years? More?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

Nope...their remodeling or sidewalk work is NOT why I mentioned that they were closed. We happened to be down there close to noon, and there was no signage indicating their hours.

MazHelp and falconroger, thank you for your helpful responses.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

Got it. Thanks all, I thought perhaps they (as indicated in my first post) opened later. I am glad to have the facts. :)

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

El Tunel was my favorite for many years, however about a year ago I took my family and the food was only OK, compared to what we are used to. As you know food is excellent almost anywhere you go in Mazatlan, so exceptions are treated as OK, but still hard to go back when there's many other options. I will give them another chance soon, since prices are very competitive, almost hard to beat in that area.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

I agree with MyMazatlan. The Tunnel was great a few years ago. Since the remodel, the food is just OK. There are better places to go near by. Paulina's comes to mind.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Tunel...I'm curious

Thanks for that input, MyMazatlan and MazHelp.

Now I'm going to post another topic about where Paulina's is. I'm afraid if I just respond on this thread that my question may not get answered!