We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

This is not helping

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
This is not helping

It seems the never ending transportation issues continue:

mazmessenger.com/2011/…

I witnessed this same thing first hand a couple years ago when a Minnesota couple were in a taxi surrounded by other cabs and angry drivers. I picked them up and took them to the airport. They were really frightened and I doubt they will return to Mazatlan. I brought this up with the State Dept of Tourism and they just said they knew it was a problem and were working to solve it.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: This is not helping

Here is the picture story from the Noroeste.

www.noroeste.com.mx/ver_fotos.php…

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: This is not helping

Will this affect our transfers to and from the hotel provided by our Canadian charter company?

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: This is not helping

No, it should not. It's only the return transfers to the airport being booked separately from airline packages that are being scrutinized. The article in the newspaper stated that the Inspectors asked van passengers to show their itineraries, etc. and found their transport hadn't been included in a package deal.

Edited: 21 February 2011, 20:17
Boise, Idaho
Level Contributor
157 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: This is not helping

You know- I realize that this may not be the same issue- but next month we will be making our 11th visit to Mazatlan since 2006 and we have never had any problems with any of our transport to or from the airport. Since we are time share owners at PB- we do not book a package- but usually buy a round trip right at the airport, then the hotel calls the Taxi 24 hours in advance of our departure time and it is as simply as that.

5. Re: This is not helping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 31 March 2015, 02:42
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: This is not helping

We've always bought a one-way taxi ride from the airport to hotel when we arrive, and then on day of departure, we get a taxi to the airport from our hotel. Never any trouble. Never any calls the day before to confirm. Never any waiting, wondering, or anything. Just vacation. Just the only way to go.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: This is not helping

Sometimes what I do too, rchpjf, except often I'm picked up by a friend upon arrival in Maz.. Does not the issue lie with someone with a van trying to make some dough "acting" as a service? Big NO NO...but a legit taxi or service being "accosted"? Shouldn't happen, hard to believe it ever would.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: This is not helping

Not doubting the reports or Paper, I guess I was just saying that I would in such a circumstance just get out, get in a taxi and go, if possible, and save the potential wasted time, and be on my way. I wouldn't wait around and wait for everything to cool off if I had the chance to just get outa there. What's another cab fare? Get me home, or get me to the beach! :)

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: This is not helping

It happens on the return trip to the airport and the passengers don't understand the Spanish being screamed at each other and they don't understand that people are trying to get them out of their cabs to get into another cab--it is not logical to the average person. So there is a real fear of the unknown--a terrifying experience.

Since I knew what was going on I simply introduced myself to the passengers, explained that they were in the middle of a labor dispute and it would be best if they allowed me to take them to the airport. If someone like me does not come along the passengers would be better off to just get into the taxi that has set up the barricade. Its either that or wait until things get sorted out and possibly miss your plane.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: This is not helping

Perhaps some history and perspective will help TA vistors to better understand issue. A trip to or from the airport is THE home run of taxi fares, and that's true almost anywhere. For example if you visit NYC, you'll likely stay in Manhattan but fly out of Kennedy airport requiring a long taxi ride from you hotel. It's the same thing if you stay at the Epcot center in Orlando, stay in Pasadena for the Rose Bowl or Rose Parade, or stay in Mazatlan for the sunny weather and Carnival. Your hotel in a tourist zones, via a long taxi ride to the airport.

Tourists may tip the airport cab driver generously, especially if there is a lot of luggage involved. Out of habit we tip a percentage of the total fare, which is way more than a normal cab ride. That's not mentioning a tip for short rides isn't nearly as common in the first place. It also doesn't factor in airport trips include miles of driving at high speeds using little gas, compared to slow guzzling fares in the bustling downtown.

For some time there has been an agreement special white taxi's with gold trim take fares from the airport to Mazatlan only. When white taxis pull up to the Inn or Pueblo Bonito with inbound tourists, they can't pick up anyone going to the airport for their flight home. Likewise red or green taxis don't grab an inbound passenger just arriving in Mazatlan.

The wild card in all of this are carriers who work with travel services or the Internet, a la King David. On days when a time share changes weeks, taxis will show up hours before any flights to get the lucrative fares to Raphael Beulna airport. Only to often find 6 or 7 hours later a van or bus pulling up and many, if not most, potential fares piling in which leaves the taxi drivers high and dry.

The suspicion has long been these carriers were not just picking up prearranged fares -- who would have an itinerary to match -- but anyone else who wanted a ride. Sure enough after blocking this van from leaving the scene the transit authorities arrived, and some people already seated had nothing to show they had ever contracted for King David's services at all.

In essence this appears to have been a clear case of picking up new fares on the spot, when showing up hours after others had lined up for the chance. Not cool by any means, not to mention stealing the steak and lobster fares and leaving taxi drivers with yesterday's tacos.

Edited: 22 February 2011, 17:12