We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

Washington State
Level Contributor
182 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

We fell in love with Mazatlan on our first visit there two years ago and finally were able to return this year!

Arrived on Saturday, Feb 12. We had made reservations at La Siesta so navigated our way through the airport to the taxi booth and then to the hotel. We had never stayed there before but thanks to Trip Advisor knew a lot of what to expect. We had an ocean view room and were very happy with it. Dropped our bags as soon as we got to the room and headed out to walk around Centro. It was about 4pm at this point.

We were hungry after the plane trip so stopped at Te Amo Lucy's for a snack then checked menus all around Plaza Machado in planning for dinner. We wandered up to the Freeman to take photos and enjoy the sunset. It was really cold up there and very windy but the sunset was breathtaking. I think I saw a green flash as the sun dipped below the horizon.

After that, we did some more walking and finally ended up at El Cuevo del Leon for dinner. Delicious! More walking, found Aroma Spa but unfortunately they were booked for the evening so no massages for us.

We slept great at the hotel - the waves drowned out the sound of the traffic and we woke on Sunday to a perfectly clear morning. I walked down to the Looney Bean to get coffee and then we walked over to Panama for breakfast. Chilaquiles - yum! On to Ley for a quick grocery shopping then back to La Siesta to check out. We would have loved to stay another day or two but had a week at PB Emerald Bay to get to.

Took the taxi up to PBEB and got checked in there. It was a little time before our room was ready so we napped in the hammocks that overlook the ocean. It was a little cool but not too bad. We met up with friends for dinner at the Bistro at PB EB that night.

We then alternated days between lounging by the pool and going into Centro to explore some more.

Monday, Valentine's Day, we went back to Te Amo Lucy's for dinner. They had a coconut shrimp that was excellent - not the usual deep-fried, but in a sauce that reminded me of a Thai curry. We did have a bit of an odd vibe there as it seemed Tony was very stressed out and taking it out on the other wait staff in his tone and manner of speaking.

On Wednesday we took a sail with Eduardo and Mi Casa Viajes. That was wonderful and included a hike to the top of Deer Island. That will definitely be on my list for next year! Afterward, we asked to be dropped off at the Riu since we had never seen it, and then walked up the beach to Mr. Lionso's for dinner.

I loved the central market! It seemed cleaner than the last time I was there - fewer flies - but maybe that was because of the cooler weather. We also went into the Angela Peralta theater. I'd like to attend a performance there sometime. I loved seeing the photos of how it looked before the renovation. It's really amazing that it wasn't just demolished!

We had dinner one night at Panchos and another at La Casa Country. I thought Panchos was a little disappointing but the steaks at Casa Country were excellent. El Cuevo del Leon, Panama and Mr. Lionso's were my favorite. Overall, it was an awesome trip and was over far too soon. Of course Sunday 2/20 was the warmest day since we got there and that was when we had to leave. PBEB was really nice although I have to say the food is not great. There are much better options in town. I am not sure if it's the economy or what, but they could really be so much better. Miguel at the Bistro pool was an excellent waiter and took great care of us.

Thanks to all of you on this forum who helped me plan our trip and gave such great ideas of things to do and see. I am counting the days until next year :-)

usa
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

Geekgirl512,

Thanks for taking the time to post a report. Glad you had a great time. Sunsets from the Freeman are some of my favorites. And you are right, the people on this forum are great about helping with information. Mr. 2Day

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

Thank you for the nice read. I appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed yourself!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,606 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

Nice report. In the two weeks you got to see a lot of Mazatlan. I was especially interested in your hike to the top of Deer Island. I have been there many times but never considered climbing the hill. Is there a trail?

BC Okanagan
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

Thanks for the report. I liked your observation about staying at La Siesta, I always worried about traffic noise, I was glad to hear that the ocean wins that battle.

All of your observations will be very helpful to other travelers. ( and businesses) ;)

Washington State
Level Contributor
182 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

There is a trail to the top of Deer Island. It starts about a quarter mile south of where the beer and food are at, near some rocks and tide pools. Eduardo on the Mi Casa pointed us to it. The trail isn't too difficult but can be steep in spots. It did get my heart going and I wouldn't recommend it to a really sedentary person. I hiked it wearing sport sandals. It don't think I'd want to do it after a rain though as it could be very slippery and muddy in some spots.

The trail goes up to the saddle between the two peaks on the island, and then there is a bit of a scramble if you want to go higher on the north peak. We didn't make it all the way to the top but even from the saddle the view is spectacular because you can see both sides of the island and pretty far out to sea. I wonder if it would ever be possible to see over to Baja on a really clear day.

Edited: 24 February 2011, 17:11
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

Great report, enjoyed it! Thanks! ...and I don't care HOW clear it is, you ain't seein' Baja from there; green flash, perhaps, as I've seen it too, not grom there, but it's very cool; but no Baja. :) Unless maybe you haul a ton of margaritas up there and polish them off, might see lots of things!. ;)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
778 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

"Unless maybe you haul a ton of margaritas up there and polish them off, might see lots of things!. ;)"

To funny anything can happen in mzt with a few of those lol!!!

Nice report....Sounds like to have a great time....so enjoy reading these reports when I can not make it down till next year ;(

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
405 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

So glad you had a great trip! Thank you for taking time to share with us. It was nice to read about the hiking and view. We agreed that this year the centro market felt, smelled etc. different because of the cooler weather.

9. Re: Trip Report - Feb 12 - 20, 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:18