We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pueblo Bonito area

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Pueblo Bonito area

HI We are going down and staying at the PB. early March, I pulled up and printed a map of the streets and it seems that there is nothing in between PB and and Ocean Palace? I know this Hotel is a little far but is there really NOTHING? Teh bus runs right in front of the hotel this I knwo so is Camaron Sablo the main road? Whats up the side streets crossing Delatun with Pulpo & Calamar and such? Is it jsut neighborhoods? Is there any place that has great food (thats not going to cost us an arm AND a leg) up that way without taking the bus down to the area where the Playa Mazatlan is? What's up beyond the PB but not as far as Emerald bay?

I know, I know, alot of Questions but at least I can get the general idea out in one post and not repeated posts :O)Any help from you expert locals would be great!

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

P.s I type bad LOL

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

Pueblo Bonito is on the north end of the "golden zone" across the street is a little place called Munchkins good food great nachos, drinks are a little high though. To the south a couple blocks is a little place called "The Place" good food fair drinks resonable prices. Across the street & south a block upstairs is another restruant good food, good drinks, a little high on the prices but not bad. Continue south & there are several others all reasonable prices. North the isn't much, La Marina on the other side of the marina has good food, The Torres a couple milesfurther north has good food & drinks reasonable. Way north (past Emerald Bay) is another restraunt but it seemed a little high on food & drinks as I recall. Hope this heelps

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

I'm not certain what map you were looking at, but there is quite a bit between the PB Mazatlan and the Oceana Palace. Just south of the PB is the Luna Palace, then some restaurants, shops, etc. (incl. the restaurant El Paraje - The Place, which has been highly recommended by many folks on this forum) then the Oceana Palace. This is on the beach side of the street (Camaron Sabalo).

On the other side of the street you'll pass quite a number of restaurants, some of which have made the list "Top restaurants in Mazatlan" on this forum. Also, a number of different shops, cyber cafes, etc.

Yes, Camaron Sabalo is the main road. The cross streets you are seeing on whichever map you're using just go east (away from the beach) back into a more-or-less upper middle class neighborhood called Sabalo Country Club (NOT a country club). There are a number of apartment buildings just a block or two off Camaron Sabalo with very reasonable rates for those coming to spend more than just a week or two in Mazatlan.

For GREAT food that won't cost you an arm or a leg, you should print out the list of top restaurants along with the various comments. You WON'T be unhappy that you did. Just a quick glance at the list and I saw Chili's Pepper, Juanitas, The Purple Onion, Minnesota Cafe, La Costa Marinera, The Place, El Patio Nuevo, and Heather's Place. All within easy walking distance of the PB Mazatlan. Also, the list shows the PB Mazatlan as a recommended place for Sunday brunch.

If you restrict yourself to just this area you will be missing some of the best of Mazatlan. You should go to the historical center of Mazatlan and try some of the recommended restaurants there. You won't regret it.

Going north, beyond the PB Mazatlan, you first have the Faro then the El Cid Marina. After that there is a long loop around the marina and the street becomes Sabalo Cerritos and goes past quite a number of hotels (about 2 or 3 miles) before ending at the Playa Cerritos. If you turn off to the right, just before Playa Cerritos, it's about a mile to the PB Emerald Bay.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

I have the same problem with typing...lol

Just north of PB a few hundred feet in (Now) El Faro Hotel. Beautiful grounds, check it out. Just next door south is Luna Palace, then Oceano Palace, Caravelle Beach Club, long space, El Quiote then Holiday Inn. Within a 10 minuet stroll from PB you have Munchkins, Mary's Burgers (GREAT) El Paraje (The Place), Purple Onion, Heathers Place and a few more.

Camaron Sabalo is the main road north and south, inland is 'Sabalo Country Club', a residential area with no country club. (But a great name, no?)

The only thing north of PB is the marina area and a few rather isolated resorts. The only thing I would make a point to go to would be Torres Mazatlan for lunch or diner.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

WOW.... Im am impressed with the feedback you have given! I will print out the list as I have been chicken scratching it on the back of a map that I printed out. Funny because its the map that I JUST bumped the thread too. We do plan on getting away from PB as this will be our second time in Maz. But have not been back in 5 years (we own at PB) We always seem to "trade" to go somewhere else. We now have a 4 year old that travels with us to Mexico that we didnt have when we bought 6 years ago. This is why I am researching whats in the immediate area of the PB. FYI 4 yr olds dont like to walk and are to heavy to carry. Still thinking about a cheepo stroller that we may leave behind.

We never stayed in the area, always went to the "adventure" on the bus. or the pumonia thingie. LOL

Ok, Next Question:

Been to Copala and Concordia, what else is there to do? Can we hire a "local" to give us the sights at a fair price? I read about the ATV's on Stone Island (another thread in this forum) is this worth the time?

Looking for a great place that we can get the lil taco's that the locals love so much, the one we REALLY liked is down by (uuummmm thinking) oh shoot, I cant think of the name of that rest. its on the corner near the playa Maz. on the main drag. anyhow Im rambling, and will let you get back tow ahtever it was that you were doing before I got ahold of you. LOL

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

There is a great post "Top things to do" on theis forum, check it out. Too bad there is not some way to have it allways at the top, rather than having to 'bump' it all the time.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,460 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

Mazatlán Frank: I have heard so many positive comments about Mazatlán Frank Thiel Armenta that I had to add him to the list. He not only has his own business, but he also works with Ole Tours. He has a superb knowledge of what tourists want to see and hear. Mazatlán Frank’s tours can be arranged in various modes of transportation from air-conditioned bus, trolley, van to auto. His tours can be scheduled or specialized at the request of the tourists. Frank has an outgoing-friendly personality that leads to a relaxed and fun tour for people of all ages. Check out his website at www.mazatlán-frank.com for a complete run down. He can be emailed at fcole2000@hotmail.com. Telephone him at his office, (669) 916-6287, or at his cell: 044

(669) 117-0604.

Or, you can hire a good speaking Pulmonia driver who will be happy to show you the city, or even take you on a tour of one of the outlying towns.

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
673 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

I just ran into this old post of mine while searching the forum. Looks like I got some great info and I remember going to some of the places that you guys listed. Has anything changged in two years as we are going back to PB in April to witness the insanity of Spring Break. (were too old for Spring Break, but now that our son is in school... well were going)

We really like the more "local" food and this time we are going to venture up past teh Marina which we have never done. Any suggestions?

as always,

Thanks!

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

We'll be staying at PB in March and definitely want to try Mr. Lionsos at Playa Bruja this year. It gets fantastic reviews on this forum and is accessible by bus from what I've read. You'll find most of the restaurants within walking distance of PB mentioned previously on this post are still there. Mary's Burgers has moved further south near DQ I believe, Munchkins is still there but not always open, and El Patio changed hands a few years ago and just isn't the same.

St. Catharines...
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pueblo Bonito area

Thanks for bumping this up "sunseeker"!....good info for us too...headed to PB Maz for 2 weeks Jan 14....will just add it to my notes..lol