We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Overall we had a wonderful time. It seems like AGES ago.

We had some minor problems at the hotel ( El Cid Moro ) but they were cleared up with a phone call. More of an inconvenience than a problem. It's all in my review of the Moro which should be up soon hopefully.

We went on a boat cruise to watch the Carnaval fireworks and it was fantastic.

We went out on a boat called the Puesta del Sol. The ONLY problem we had was that we booked the cruise through a guy on the beach named Albert.

He told us that the price included free transportation there and back.

I wouldn't have gone if we had to find our own transportation back!!!

We met him outside the hotel at the designated time and he was very drunk and there was no transportation.

Stay here, he said and he was back within 10 minutes in a pulmonia The man driving it seemed fine but his female companion was absolutely three sheets to the wind. She hurled a glass beer bottle against another vehicle and she was lucky she didn't fall out of the pulmonia.

Albert told us to pay him 200 pesos to guarantee that our pulmonia driver would be there to pick us up after the boat ride.

To make this part of the story short there was no pulmonia there to pick us up after. Luckily we bluffed our way onto a bus that was taking tourists back to various hotels we offered to pay but the driver declined. ( I think there were about 20 or more boat tours that night. It was great. ) Ed asked Albert for the money the next day as he also works a parasail on the beach. He said he couldn't remember and that it was only money.

That isn't the point. The point is he ripped us off knowingly because we asked the pulmonia driver who told us a completely different story. Thank goodness that was the only sour experience I had in Mazatlan.

The next day we watched the parade from Horizon on the Malecon. It was spectacular. It was really really good and very well done. After the parade we just went up to our friends condo who also own at Tenerife and we had a few drinks until the crowds died down then 4 of us walked to Valentinos and caught a pulmonia.

We went downtown a lot and walked a lot and ate a lot. Ed bought me my silver iguana from Hector and I got my umbrella.

Total amount spent on silver=$10,000 pesos.

Total amount spent on Other stuff including tips, hats, sunglasses, wraps, FM3s, and my spending money when Ed left

=$20,000 pesos.

The thing that adds up the quickest in expenses is the tipping. You have to tip every time you turn around.

Anyway....I was very sad to leave and I'm going back in June.

Houmom.....There is a pic of Blanca in the beach pics.

I'm not a good photographer and I did the best I could.

Edited: 05 April 2011, 06:17
Star Fleet Sportfishing
Boat Tours, Eco Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Hire, Private Tours
Dave's Fishing Charter & Boat Tours
Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Aries Fishing Fleet
Boat Tours, Water Sports, Fishing Charters & Tours
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Thanks for your report and pictures. I really enjoyed it!

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,120 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Gillian: Thanks for the trip report! I really enjoyed your pictures! I would've recognized Blanca anywhere, and her son is sure a cutie!

I think you are a great photographer...especially looking at my lame pics. You have a very nice variety of photos...my pictures from this year lacked variety since I have mostly restaurant shots!

Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Thank you for taking the time to post a report, glad you enjoyed the fireworks and the parade, they often are some of the best I’ve seen. I’m sure the photos are great but “Facebook” is one of those things I don’t do. Again, thanks for posting. Mr. 2Day

Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

To bad about the "Albert" factor. Been dealing with the "Sales Reps" on the beach with good results ever since I started going to MZ, been lucky so far but it's bound to happen. Good report, good to hear you had a great time.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Those parasailer guys are usually the seediest bunch on the beach and it's certainly buyer beware with those guys.

Saint John, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

I didn’t know that Albert also worked parasail. I don’t think a day went by that Albert didn’t try to sell a booze cruise to me. About every hour from 10am to 2pm. Friendly guy to talk to on the beach, but your story certainly sounds like I expected any sales event from him to work out.

Level Contributor
1,660 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Your pictures were great. Going to Mazatlan for the first time and staying there (was there one day on cruise) pictures really helped in seeing the restaurants, beach and downtown area. I'm sure we're going to enjoy Mazatlan. Thanks.

Yukon, OK
Level Contributor
185 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Thank you for the wonderful trip report. I enjoyed reading it. Lots of good stuff in there; and I really loved your pictures!!

Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Loved the photos - thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
778 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report Feb 28-March 29

Nice picture's....Extra cool that you took the time to add a link to Facebook to view them...Glad you had a wonderful!!!!