We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report 3/28-4/4

minnesota
Level Contributor
459 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report 3/28-4/4

I just got back from my first trip to Mazatlan and thought I would post a report because this site was so helpful to me before I went on my trip!

We stayed at Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. The hotel employees were so friendly and the beach was great, I also loved the fact that the hotel made it easy to get to restaurants, bars, etc. With that said, when I stepped foot at PB Emerald Bay, I was blown away. It was so beautiful and I immediately wished we would have stayed there! It wasn't near as far away from everything as I had thought and the shuttle made it easy to get into town. I would stay at PB Emerald Bay the next time I visit Maz for sure!

A few other notes...

I was a little nervous about some of the safety concerns, but I have to say that I felt completely safe the entire time I was there! People of Maz were friendly and helpful!

We took a taxi to and from the airport and it was super easy and much cheaper than the shuttles.

We exchanged our money into pesos and it was very easy. You can do this at your hotel or any of the exchange houses. Just take a look at the exchange rate so that you are getting the best bang for your buck.

Lastly, here is a rundown of the restaurants we ate at...

Topolo- Amazing, cute place, delicious! Pork shank was fantastic!

Cueva de Leon- Great shrimp and great prices!

Playa Bruja- Fun atmosphere, great coconut shrimp!

Panchos- great view, molocajete was delish!

Pedro y Lola- just okay, overpriced

Los Zarapes- okay food, but fun waiters

The last thing I must recommend is Salsa and Salsa. It is a class at the Royal Villas (you can find more about it by searching on TI). There are two fun ladies that teach you how to make different salsas and margaritas. It is so fun to snack and drink and then you get to learn how to salsa dance. Very fun!!

Hope this helps any new travelers! Hope to visit Maz again!

usa
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

Mnteach,

So glad you had a good time and thanks for posting, it will help someone else plan their trip. It’s so nice to hear the things that new visitors find, it’s good to see Mazatlan through new eyes. We haven’t gone to Cueva de Leon yet but plan on it during our next trip. Thanks again. Mr.2Day

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
763 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

Nice report...Glad you had such a great time.....Nice to hear about salsa y salsa. One of these years I will get to that...

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

Great report! Glad you had a good time. The Salsa Y Salsa is something I keep trying to remember to do.....I must remember!! Yes Emerald Bay is not that far out and is a beautiful resort. Hope you return soon!!

Temecula, California
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

thanks for your posts and recommendations. We are sending our son and future daughter in law to PB Emerald Bay on their honeymoon next month. Good information regarding how safe you felt. We've traveled to Cabo and PV and really had a great vacation each time.

Edited: 06 April 2011, 05:05
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

Thanks so much for your report. I enjoyed reading it. Always love hearing about the food joints!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

Great trip report. Happy to hear you had a good time. This should be of help to future visitors to Mazatlan.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

mnteach, thanks for the great trip report. I'm so glad you had a great time in Mazatlan. Plans to return again in the future?

We also did Salsa Y Salsa and enjoyed it very much. I just bought Rompope so I can make that kickin' good dessert!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

It's always great to hear a first-timer's impressions and i'm very happy you enjoyed Mazatlan. Thanks for the report.

Wisconsin,Michigan...
Level Contributor
1,658 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

Great Report. Going to PB Emerald Bay and PB Mazatlan at the end of the month. Was happy to hear that you enjoyed both resorts. Will definitely try all your restaurants that you enjoyed.

Edmonton, Canada
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report 3/28-4/4

i tried the cueva de leon. had the cuban steak and rice. amazing food. and the rice is like a flavor explosion in your mouth

Edited: 08 April 2011, 01:12