We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Continental Baggage Fees

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Continental Baggage Fees

Just tried to check in online and learned they expect us to pay $23.00 per bag (There's a $2.00 discount for paying online - Such A Deal). We flew with them in February, and didn't pay a cent. Is this a new policy?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

If you are on an international flight there is not a fee to check your bag.

Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

Thanks, HM. After I posted, I went to the CO website and read the policy (DUH).

We're going to San Diego on CO (visiting family there), then flying to MZT from Tiajuana on Volaris this trip, and it'll be our first time on a CO domestic flight since December 2009, when we paid a fee of $5.00 for one bag on a one way flight. Subsequent CO flights have been to MZT, with no fees.

We fly to MZT from Philadelphia, Baltimore or Regan through Houston. Isn't it interesting that if our final destination was Houston, there would be a fee, but because we continue to MZT there isn't?

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

We fly Continental every year to Maz from Virginia through Houston, in fact we just returned 3 weeks ago. Each person gets to check one bag free, then there is a charge for each bag after that. It gets quite expensive! Thank goodness there isn't a fee (yet) for our carry-ons!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

Alaska air charges $20 for each bag you check in up until you get to the 4th bag. The 4th and each additional bag after the 4th is charged $50. Fees of course are waived for MVP, first class, and a few others. I like the "yet" on the carry on charge because you know it is coming.

Southern Oregon
Level Contributor
190 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

Shot in the dark here.

Anyone know about US Airways out of Phoenix to Maz and its checked baggage policy (from experience)?

Sorry to piggyback this, but a new post seemed unnecessary.

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
22 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

$25.00 for Bag #1 & $35.00 for Bag #2

Bags fly free for first class passengers.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,387 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

Impapa...try to do the largest carry on allowed on US Air...the planes coming down from Phoenix are so small, that they take your bag at the plane door anyway, and put it in the cargo hold/check it for free...no overhead bin space except for a bit larger than a purse allowed. Once I knew that, I didn't bother paying to check a bag...as 3 of my four planes were the small one seat/two seat planes...so saved lots of money that way...and still did a 10 day trip with enough clothes for day and dress up at nite and books, etc.

And the ticket counter in Mazatlan for US Air doesn't charge you to check a bag on the return anyway. So just check your bag on the way home...totally back to your home will be free!

Edited: 14 April 2011, 17:22
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,642 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

ferd... We are heading to MZT in October... from Atlanta. If you don't mind sharing, what fare to did you get from your neck of the woods?

From BWI, PHL... when you last used these.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 16:15
Millsboro, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

We usually pay about $525 pp, but we've paid as high as $1,025 (our first trip - December 2008 - DW was still teaching and our travel dates were fixed).

Fares to MZT from BWI and DCA have always been lower than PHL. Continental has had the best connections (US looks like an overnight at PHX on the return) and prices so far.

I've been looking ahead to December, and it seems rates may be $50 pp or so higher than the $525.

10. Re: Continental Baggage Fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 10:20