We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bringing or buying food for picky eater

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
51 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
bringing or buying food for picky eater

We coming to Mazatlan in June for 2 weeks and bringing my son, who is a very picky eater. Can someone tell me if any of the local grocery stores sell Malt-o-Meal (we usually shop at Gigante but are willing to shop around in this case)? If not, we will have to bring some. Can I bring an unopened package of it through customs? And if I can, will it slow us way down by forcing us to go through the agriculture line and have our bags gone through? Also, we've had vanilla in Mexico and while the grown-ups like it, it does taste different and my son doesn't like it. Do stores carry vanilla from other places (Madagascar, India, etc)? And again, if not, can I bring an unopened bottle through customs? I'm happy to say, he loves Mexican food, but not for breakfast.

usa
Level Contributor
206 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

Hi Rotthound, unless someone who is an expert on Malt-o-meal as a child can be, chimes in with a different take on things, I would just bring some and the vanilla, children want what they want and there is no reason to takeaway from his vacation. Put it in your check in baggage and all should be fine. Some times, even if it’s available, it might taste “different” as do Pepsi, Coca-cola, coffee, etc., the sugar sometimes is a different sugar. Better safe than sorry. Not sure how old he is, but if he likes vanilla, have him try a “Tony cola”, an outstanding soft drink that has a vanilla flavor, it will be a love it or hate it thing. Go and have fun, Mexico loves children. Mr.2Day

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,716 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

As Mister2day says, give ToniCol a try. It's a local drink, originating from, and bottled in Rosario, Sinaloa. Here's some further information for those who are curious about this unique drink. To me, it has the taste of cream soda, more or less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ToniCol

http://www.tonicol.com/eng/index.html

As far as food, you will find a fairly good selection of imported foods in Mega and Soriana Plus (formerly Gigante).

Edited: 25 May 2011, 19:25
San Diego...
Level Contributor
306 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

on the vanilla...

are you sure you have been getting "real" vanilla when in mex?

as the vanilla bean increases in price (2nd most expensive spice in the world) , manufacturers have began to replace the true extract with alternatives that taste "like" vanilla.

a little quote from wiki... "

Today, artificial vanillin is made from either guaiacol or from lignin, a constituent of wood which is a byproduct of the pulp industry."

they take the byproduct and soak it with alcohol...

after a good soaking they squeeze out the flavor infused alcohol and sell that as "vanilla extract". NASTY!!!

Real vanilla extract can only be made from macerating vanilla beans in alcohol then reducing the alcohol down to an extract.

Beware of the dangerous fake stuff!!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

not sure what malt o meal is.....but there is a variety of cereals, good bread for toast, lots of fruits, etc.......if thats all he eats then you should bring it with you. You might find it at Walmart.....they seem to have a good selection there too. Good luck have fun!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
271 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

there is a spot on the custom form where they ask if you are bringing in any food. I always check yes and it has never slowed me down going through customs. You will find a great selection of food at Mega but will be honest, not sure about your malt o meal so I would bring that just to be safe.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
747 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

Oh yum ToniCol is so good!!!!

I would bring the malt o meal with you for sure

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

You should have no problem bringing either in you checked baggage. I bring food down every year with no problem.

Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
10,893 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

I have never seen Malt O Meal in Mexico. Walmart will usually stock imported Cream of Wheat but around 100 Pesos a box, so bring your own! You do not need to go through the agriculture line unless you are bringing in agriculture: IE, fresh produce or seeds.

Packaged food is fine.

Real vanilla from Mexico is good, make sure you do not buy the imitation-I am a baker and find it close to vanilla from Madagascar taste wise- although I do prefer the Kirkland brand from Costco.

9. Re: bringing or buying food for picky eater

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 05:30