We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

Maryland
12 posts
Save Topic
La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

As part of a gift package for listening to a presentation at La Jolla, we were given a $100.00 certificate for Pacific Jewelery in Mazatlan. Be careful. The certificate is worthless because the prices have been jacked up so high that even with the certificate and any amount that is discounted you will pay more than if you order the item directly from the manufacturer.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 20:19
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

They (La Jolla) did the same thing with restaurant coupons. They gave a choice of between 3 restaurants, one of which was CLOSED! The restaurant we chose gave out 2 different menus...one was specifically for people using the gift certificates and the prices were drastically higher! Cheaters!!!

Maryland
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

You are correctomundo. We went to the one that was closed, and then decided to get our real money,s worth at Pueblo Bonito´s Cilantros. The staff and food was scrumptious.

Edited: 23 July 2011, 21:18
Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

The thing to do with those coupons is this. Go into whatever jewellery store that is affiliated with the coupon and when they tell you that they have nothing for that price, say Thank You for your time.....I'll just rip this up then.

Usually the salesperson will IMMEDIATELY give you a pair of earrings or a bracelet that worth a hundred bucks. THEY collect the coupon value from whoever issued the coupon.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

Gillian.. Now there is a great tip !

Edited: 24 July 2011, 22:36
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

I have seen some very nice stuff in Pacific Jewelry; a 14K gold cross I should have bought. $600 USD, very heavy, just gorgeous. Fantastic, handmade piece, tested right, probably $2000 USD gold right now just for the metal, not mentioning the great stone work. Best single 'cross' I ever saw. No regrets, but absolutely beautiful. YMMV.

Sooke, Canada
Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

Gillian, nice trick! We usually do not go to any jewellery stores when in Maz. However, This past trip we went into a store in the GZ. I can't remember the name but I do remember that at that time a few jewellery stores had closed due to lack of customers. We wandered in and did see a very nice ring that my wife liked. The price was $550, too rich for our budget. As we turned to leave the salesman went into full blown turbo sales mode. After a couple go arounds his final price was...$145.So that show the kind of profit there is those items. We didn't buy it and left .

We go to Maz to enjoy the weather, the beach, our friends and of course the food.We do buy a few modest things but mostly from vendors we know and have bought from in other years.

Only 5 more months until we return.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,066 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

If you want a realist idea of the mark up in jewelry, just check out the prices in any jewlery store before & after Christmas, 50-75% discount on everything in the store, & I thought the timeshare folks were unscrupulous!!!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,387 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

Not so fast.. supply and demand. Consider also seasonal lodging adjustments in our beloved Mazatlan. And sales in any store when a season ends. Even plants in Home Depot and Lowes and nurseries go on sale after planting season.

And the reverse when season starts.

Maybe a 50 to 75 % change is excessive, but surely some flucuation ( a joke just came to mind I'm sure you may have seen ) is acceptable. No?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

Thing is, no one HAS to demand. One can always simply wait. Buy last year even, then give it THIS Christmas/Birthday, whatever occasion; would have been cheaper for sure.

I imagine right now in Mazatlan they are going to weigh everything and use the 'market price' for gold and silver; though the stuff may have/probably been bought by the vendor and paid for way back when.

Or negotiate a bit, which I don't always do, but let's face it, sometimes it's a must. In Mazatlan, there are many reputable and fair Jewelers (or sales people for the products) but a person still needs to be careful. I've seen scratched up/damaged stuff at a few well recommended places, and was surprised, but hey, 'grain of salt'.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
518 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: La Jolla Pacific Jewelery

If you want some good jewelry go to a jewellers who can custom make whatever you desire. My wife got a ring re-sized at the jeweller's in the back end of the shopping plaza across from the Dairy Queen. When we were there to pick up her ring, a customer showed us a couple of pieces that he made for her...great work and decent prices...Don't go to a jewelry store catering to cruise ships (when they were stopping at MZT!)