We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Irvine, CA
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

My partner and I are considering a Jan/Feb trip to either Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucus. We're having a hard time deciding which would be best.

I know the likely response is "it depends on what you want to do" so we're mostly interested in sightseeing, relaxing, experiencing Mexican culture, maybe some beach time, lively nightlife and good dining. Not much into fishing, scuba, etc.

If you've been to both places, which do you prefer and why?

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
376 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Puerto Vallarta might be a better bet.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,004 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

oakside....you have mail!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

It sounds to me that you would have a much better time in Mazatlan. Better beach, real Mexican culture and great food! Cabo has better fishing but that's about it. Mazatlan is less expensive too!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,598 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Cabo is very beautiful, along the beach west of town. It is a great place to visit. For a day. I spent 4 days there on my sail boat a few years ago and by day 3 I was really ready to head to Mazatlan. Cabo has SOME picturesque spots. But it was a tiny fishing village that became a big resort area. There is very little culture and almost no history that I could find.

Mazatlan has great beaches too. Though we don’t have the arch at ‘Lands end’ we have many miles of beach available for a bus ride of less than a dollar. We have resorts like Cabo. But unlike Cabo, we have a bustling downtown and a historic old town where buildings date back to the 1800’s.

In my opinion there is MUCH more to do and see in Mazatlan than either Cabo or PV. Your choice.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,485 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Cabo is desert with a beach--Mazatlan is Mexican culture with a beach. Both have excellent restaurants, but Mazatlan has more. Cabo has wonderful National people, but Mazatlan has more and better.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Apples and oranges.

You must go to both some day.

No real comparisons to be made except they are in Mexico.

I loved both...each in a different way.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Well said Judy. I'll have a great time at both although the OP stated that fishing didn't matter and they wanted beach and Mexican culture. I agree that everyone should visit both!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Well said by many; Mazatlan hands down for all the reasons mentioned. Visit Cabo someday, can be real fun, but for overall experience, well I already said it...counting the very few days ourselves. Ask when you get there, ask locals, ask your Hotel/Resort staff, ask the taxi/pulmonia drivers/bus drivers. Ask other visitors, as it's amazing how helpful and friendly folks are. Seek out people at your place and elsewhere who are in the know. Act educated but "want to know more". Enjoy! :)

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,047 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

If your interested in the cultural experience of Mexico, Mazatlan would be the place to go. That 's the reason we have been to Mazatlan 20 + times in 12 years & Cabo once.

Sad to say I will be drug to Cabo kicking & screaming in Dec. I would much rather be going back to visit the many friends we have made in Mazatlan throughout the years.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,737 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mazatlan or Cabo San Lucas?

Responses to same question, posted on CSL forum.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g152515-i84-k47075…