We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather to expect the last week of September

Lincoln, Nebraska
1 post
Save Topic
Weather to expect the last week of September

I have read that September typically is a very heavy rainy month. Could any travelers comment on what kind of weather we may expect during the last week of September. Also, how likely is this area impacted by hurricanes during this time. We will be staying at the RIU Emerald Bay which about two years old (I believe) and wondering how sheltered this resort may be in case of hurricanes.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather to expect the last week of September

You can expect 90-90 weather with frequent thunderstorms but mostly at night. I have been at El Cid EL Moro for the last two severe storms the latest being Rick and it was no problem. I would imagine the Riu is at least as safe as El Cid. Mazatlan has some natural protection from the islands and rarely has significant damage. At the very worst you will lose power at some point in time , but not for long. The Pacific side has been quiet to date in regard to major storms but that can change. The vegetation looks spectacular this time of year with the copious amounts of rain. I'll be there next week and post a brief report. I believe Patasalada posted this site and it's the best I have seen for tracking activity in the Pacific.

www.stormpulse.com/pacific…

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,780 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather to expect the last week of September

I have been here for 22 Septembers and while nothing is guaranteed, it will probably be; 1. Hot. Temps in the high 80's, perhaps low 90's. 2. Humid. Probably 70 to 80% daytime and 60% at night. (It can get higher sometimes too!) Sleeping is easy with the air-conditioner on! 3. Probably SOME rain. (We have gotten a TON of rain lately!) You may well have some storms, usually between 2 and 6 a.m. but it is possible to have them any time.It is also quite possible you will see no rain at all. Even when we do, it does not affect daytime activities a lot.

Hurricanes. We have has one near miss and 2 'Almost got here' in the last 22 years. Not much to worry about. The hotels here (Even the older ones) are very well built. If we actually DO have one, the hotel will make sure you are safe. If it looks like a direct hit is coming, and IF it is extremely powerful (A category 3 or above) they MIGHT move you to a safer location, but I have never seen that yet.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather to expect the last week of September

"Hurricanes. We have has one near miss and 2 'Almost got here' in the last 22 years. Not much to worry about. "

I have to differ with that statement somewhat Roger because Rick was more than a near miss. When it hit Mazatlan they classified it as a tropical storm which means winds <80 mph but considering what I saw at El Cid those darn winds were close to or greater than 80 mph. Not much rain but very strong winds. Trees were uprooted and tossed in the pool. There were pieces of buildings flying around all over the place and the entire Golden Zone was one big mess with all the rubbish strewn about, although in one day they cleaned up most of it. We lost power at El Cid for about eight hours and the Marinas were closed for two days by the harbor master.

Edited: 27 August 2011, 11:30
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather to expect the last week of September

Quote: "Probably 70 to 80% daytime and 60% at night."

Hi, Roger.....

I think you got that turned around; always more humid after dark 'til the early/late morn', right?

Oh, and another thanks for your hard work/efforts down there. We just had a great time and will be back asap. :)

Edited: 29 August 2011, 01:00
5. Re: Weather to expect the last week of September

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2012, 07:15