We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More trip report stuff!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Topic
More trip report stuff!

We mainly spent time with local friends of mine (now HER friends, too), walking the beach, sampling places like La Cueva Del Leon (bought a waiter's shirt, new, from Juan and Alejandro there,very cool indeed), Chili's Pepper (got a nice white polo shirt there, too), Tony's, had breakfasts and drinks at all places, always a good time.

Went to Jungle Juice one night, it was OK, but hot; very hot even into the evening. I asked for more ice in the second bucket of three 2x1 beers (me, Wife, friend) and it was still WAY shy of enough ice. Small tip left......that'll teach 'em....heck the beer was not cold to begin with. ???

Speaking of shirts, some while back I scored a Gus y Gus BARTENDER red shirt; took me two years to talk 'a certain person' into that. Big score, quite a prize to me. I cannot wear it in Maz, promised I would not, but I do at home; just gotta love gettin' that baby! I think I'll post a picture of my 'collection!

We had fun at Gus y Gus many tiimes, though didn't spent too much time there, wanted to get around a bit, Canucks, Beach Burger (shared a good sandwich), had some antiobiotics with me, thank God, got sick one day; recovered quickly, don't know what happened, but ate something somewhere that didn't work out!! 0_0

Mary's and Tres Amigos were open, didn't go there. I like the beach, remember? Went to La Concha and ordered a cerveza and a stawberry (fresa) margarita, waiter came back after ten + minutes (wasn't crowded) with a cup of beer and a 'regular' marg.... bad service, not the norm. Anyway, told him, "Forget it, we'll come back later." He gave us the beer gratis, and we split.

We had many drinks given to us by the staff at several places (just wouldn't take our money some days), which has become the usual for me. Nice tips resulted of course. We still spent our share too anyway.

We rode a Pulmonia all the way to Olas Altas twice at only $60 pesos each time. Darn good from all the way up 'north'. Other than that, we rode the various busses all the time.

We walked all the way from La Puntilla to Puerto Viejo one morning (yes I have one of the PV shirts, too), the long way around, past the lighthouse, College, etc. Hot! Long walk, and pretty much devoid of people; no problems, though. We had planned to eat at La Puntilla, but I thought the $129 peso buffet sounded too much like a 'gringo price'. So be it...there are still LOTS of $50 peso breakfasts around, El Paraje is $37, even the Inn has a very good 'Americano' for $72...great hash browns, fine eggs and toast, and their bacon is actually cooked well enough and very good.

One thing about the Inn: I had a New York that was ordered medium, came to me still 'whinnying' and was tough as Hades; could barely cut it with a steak knife, for the most part. Actually I totally dislike the meat seasoning they use, too, but my Wife liked it. Another small tip, as that was THE WORST steak I have EVER had in my life. I don't understand; breakfasts were great... ???

Al Agua is still open, looked like Arabiatta was not (may have been too early when I looked that day?), Mr. Tony's has a new name, and new owner? Carlos and Lucias has moved yet again, El Altazor Ar_e Cafe in the Plaza is gone, too bad....loved their sandwiches.

The Ocean was pretty much high tide seemingly everyday, with great surf. Not too dangerous except for the pretty big waves, didn't see much of any undertow or riptides. Lots of people swimming, some surfing, and boogie boards of course.

No jellyfish; saw a couple white flags, but zero little blue guys. :)

Didn't parasail or do any tours, just did a lot of walking, bar hopping at times, and spent a TON of time in the pool, diving, etc. Had a lot of fun with all the lifeguards everywhere, too. Just something I do; we teach each other Ingles/Espanol. :) As I mentioned, it was 91-95 right near the Ocean from day two on, a little cooler the last day. We hit the hot spell for sure!

One neat thing was a free Pacifico upon our departure from our digs while waiting for the cab; got TWO each upon arrival, ice cold! During the week the Hotel manager found us and insisted on our taking freebie margaritas from him; pretty cool.

We bought some little souveniers from the guy who has a pretty good size shop near PB Maz (across the street) for my Wife's friends; nice guy, evryone should visit there, good prices, tons of stuff, alway a fun visit. Only problem is that it was aobut 100 in the place; only fifteen minutes in there and my t-shirt was soaked, literally. My Wife complained she was 'melting', lol. And it takes a lot to get her to perspire. :)

Saw some cool sunsets, the previously reported GREAT lightning show and torrential rain one night.

All told it was a good experience, saw all we needed to for now and had enough sun to last a good long while. 85 degrees now feels downright cool!!! Amazing.

I miss our friends, though the hugs and handshakes will tide us over. Will try to maintain 'til our next visit; sure would like for that to be November...........shall see. J :)

Go and enjoy, as Mazatlan still has loads to offer in fun, friends, food, surf and Sun!

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Guanajuato, Mexico
Mary's
Mary's
428 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
La Concha
La Concha
200 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More trip report stuff!

Thanks for the enjoyable read. Glad you have a wonderful time. Except for the humidity and heat, sounds like heaven!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More trip report stuff!

Great report Surfnturfn. Knowing what's open and what's not and your impression of the food was very helpful. I'll admit that I will probably kick back more than you did but I'm looking forward to eating at Al Agua at least a couple of times, early morning walks on the beach. some serious pool time and some BIG GAME fishing! Your report has me stoked! Thanks!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: More trip report stuff!

Great trip report--super read. Sorry to hear of El Altozar closing. It was one of my favorites.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: More trip report stuff!

Me, too. There was a sushi place, Beach Burger (were they always on that side on the Plazuela Machado, or did they move over there? I just don't remember them being there, though I've spent tons of time along Constitucion in the Plaza), Domatilla had their sign on the wall, Pedro y Lola and Cafe Pacifico showed signs of life, but we were there late morning/noonish, and that was about it. I was surprised. I do not recall ever seeing Beach Burger's sign over there, maybe they or the sushi place took the Cafe's spot. Don't know, things do change of course.

The heat was real this trip, so we spent a LOT of time at the pool, or walking around all over. That led to frequent stops for pop or cerveza, and the occassional margarita oceanside usually, for a little shade and some breeze. The most comfy spot was Chili's/Tony's, as the air always seems to move through there just right.

Anywhere in Centro was pretty overwhelming; I think my Wife was about to have heat stroke that one day, but she was OK after lying down in our room for a couple of hours.

We didn't eat a whole lot, mainly breakfasts, when it was cooler, and my one 'sick evening' took away my appetite for over two days all told. We are not big eaters anyway, but the heat seemed to just take away the urge; cold drinks were in order! So were many trips back to the pool!

We got some good cake at Papaguyo, too bad about the beef. Even a good steak there would not have been to my liking; don't care for the seasoning they use. Even the breakfast ham was flavored up too much for me. My wife was fine with her dinner filet as I mentioned before. They are changing their menu somewhat; still overpriced IMHO.

I had breaded shrimp dinner at Canucks, and first bite was great shrimp flavor, almost as if they weren't even breaded. Very good, as most everyone always says about the "Del Leon" food. Puerto Viejo served up some good snacks too, as did Gus y Gus and La Cueva. Olas Altas was great as usual.

Mentioned in this post
Leon
Leon
Guanajuato, Mexico
Michigan
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: More trip report stuff!

Great trip report. I was wondering where Carlos and Lucia's moved to.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: More trip report stuff!

Hmmm, I just can't place it; walked right by more than once. They are on the east side of Camaron Sabalo, but honestly can't place it; south of PB Maz a ways? Over near Luna and Oceano? Need help on this one, lol.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More trip report stuff!

Last winter they moved up the street and across from Holiday Inn. did they move again?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: More trip report stuff!

I think that is where they are alright. Kind of a little more off the street, and with some shady areas I recall, looks pretty comfy. I can picture it, just couldn't recall where...thanks.

9. Re: More trip report stuff!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 04:17