We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honest Answer About Riu/Mazatlan

Lloydminster, Canada
Level Contributor
427 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Honest Answer About Riu/Mazatlan

I noticed that the Riu Emerald Bay seems to have lots of knocks against it. However, I do know that happy people 4 out of 5 times don't post reviews. Has anyone been there recently? I'm in the early stages of planning a January vacation and saw on redtag.ca that I could get there for a shade under $1000. I have stayed at a Riu Palace in Negril, Jamaica, so I am familiar with the Riu brand. Is this comparable or will I be disappointed?

I am also slightly concerned about Mexico in general. Is Mazatlan a place that I should be worried about travelling to as far as safety goes? I would imagine that if it was unsafe, WestJet Vacations would no longer run trips to the area. But for someone who has never been to Mexico before, will it seem unsafe to me?

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honest Answer About Riu/Mazatlan

Good choice! There are a few posters from this forum who have recently been to the RIU, and have great things to say about it. Jolee is one that wrote a trip report fairly recently and there are others, so if you do a search you will hopefully find the posts.

For your first time to Mexico, an AI like the RIU is a good place to start. The staff is great and you will relax immediately, plus as you feel more comfortable with your new surroundings you will no doubt want to take outings to the Golden Zone and el Centro Historico to explore around. You won't want to miss seeing the sights and meeting friendly people.

Meadview, Arizona
Level Contributor
236 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honest Answer About Riu/Mazatlan

If you survived Jamaca you will have no problem in Mazatlan. I personally feel safer in Mexico than Jamaca. Mazatlan is a rather large and vibrant city and this might intimidate some people. One of the first things we did after arriving in Mazatlan was to make plans to return the next year. I have not stayed at the Riu. I have stayed at Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay which is the next major resort north of the Riu. The only issue that I have with the area is that there are few places of interest that you can walk to. The good news is that the busses do run up to the Riu and if you negotiate with the cab drivers you can get a good price on a cab. So it is easy to get to the Golden Zone or Centro.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honest Answer About Riu/Mazatlan

The Riu is a beautiful property right on the ocean. I surely would not hesitate to stay there. Issue? Riu is AI, and I would much rather prefer to visit the varied restaurants and attractions "outside the walls" in Mazatlan. and would feel 'm not getting my moneys worth if I left the AI "goodies" to venture into town. Personal preference? Sure.

The two posts above mine are very insightful. Enjoy your visit.

4. Re: Honest Answer About Riu/Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 19:17