We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info about an upcoming trip

Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Info about an upcoming trip

Hey, planning on booking a trip in 2012. Possibly late february to mid march. What is the weather like there during this time, some people say its "cold" and whatnot. Also what is the age of the visitors like, is this during spring break for the universities or colleges? Or is it better to go mid march to early april?

Looking forward to be doing some golfing at the course across from the El Cid Castilla throughout our stay and looking forward to the nightlife. What does the nightlife consist of? Where are the places to go for bars/clubs?

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Temps. maybe 75-80+/-, not cold, visitors of all ages, but I guess for the most part mainly 'older' (everyone is enjoyable), not spring break (too early), so more action during mid-March+. Late March and early April is usually low 80s, dry, very nice, but doesn't seem even 'sub-tropical' because it normally hasn't rained much at all for months, so it isn't very green except the grounds of many resorts and the golf courses. The golf over there is fine, and some good challenges I understand (and know to a little extent). Older, tight 18-hole course and a newer nine as well in amongst the El Cid housing development. Nightlife is varied; live bands here and there, Karaoke, big party time at Joe's Oyster (right on the beach) and Valentino 's (several nightclubs there). Many options. problem is it takes a bit of time to find it all and gather your preferences. Fun is easy to be had. :)

Edited: 13 September 2011, 23:12
Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Hi Matt037, we always plan our annual two week trip for mid-March. Weather is beautiful during the day, sometimes need a light jacket at night, but perfect. We always stay at Pueblo Bonito Maz and have never encountered any spring break issues. We're in our 50's, not big party people, but always have a good time in Maz. Hope you do too!

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

wunderground.com/cgi-bin/… Mexico

The above link will bring you weather from MZT airport.. Scroll to the center of the page and you will find trip planner. Enter the dates you are interested in and you will find the previous ten year history.

Spring break for some schools starts as early as the last week of January. Breakers are coming all through February with the majority in March and some into early April.

The Mayor of Mazatlan from 2005 - 2007 did not like spring break and ordered the Police to harass them as much as possible and Mazatlan lost a large part of the spring break booking companies. Things were relaxed for the last three years but that same Mayor was re-elected last year so time will tell what he does, if anything, this year.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Here is a spring break date listing for some of the larger universities in the USA

studentcity.com/blog/when-is-my-spring-break/

Bettendorf, Iowa
Level Contributor
238 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Wife and I will be coming March 11-16th (early 40s) for the first time. Appreciate the information in this thread.

Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

First señor Frogs ever is here, 40 years throwing great parties on weekends...

Safest club in town, thats were all the 'pretty locals' go...

Best day is saturday,

Come early

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Matt you're likely to find Spring Break for American universites is not much of a factor in Mazatlan. Cabo and especially Cancun are over run with students, but in Maz things are much more calm in that regard.

That being said the Mexican university Spring Break can be a really big deal some years, and Semanta Santa (the week before Easter) is absolutely huge in Mazatlan. Those are the dates you want to be aware of.

On the weather the talk about cold was because the entire Mexican Pacific coast had one of the strongest La Nina condition last weather ever. That condition ran from the summer of 2010 through spring of this year. La Nina is the opposite of the more famous El Nino and creates dry conditions with cold air currents. During January in particular record setting low temperatures were set just about every week.

March and April are dry with low humidity...it's very unlikely you'll see any rain. While late March can be very nice, personally I find April and May the best months of the year for weather. Nice warm days with plenty of sun for tanning and beach activities, but nice nights where you typically don't need A/C to sleep. In addition if you enjoy swimming in the ocean, the water can still have cold spots from upwelling in March. However by April the ocean temperature is typically very pleasant.

Mn
Level Contributor
107 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Weather is so dependent on what's going on.. El Nina' or whateve.r 2 years ago went late Jan/early Feb and it was beautiful.. 80's during the day, low70's at night. Last year went midJanuary and it was muchmuch cooler.... needed to wear jeans and a light jacket at nigh(still swimsuit weather during the day,probably low 70's) However, that cold weather stayed around until mid Februay for sure (according to this forum), so it was just a colder year. Best bet is to just wait to pack until a few days before and watch the forecast. Great crowd mid Jan-Feb, older though, you'll get college kids mid-march on.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

You should be fairly safe weather wise, but yes bring a pair of long pants and a light jacket. Mazatlan is typically not "party central"....not like Cancun or Cabo. But you can find some lively night life if that is what you would like. I'm not a big late night partier....so I usually am tucked in by the time the party starts(Joes Oyster starts after 10/11pm).....but we do enjoy Los Zarapes on Saturday evenings (7-11pm) to see Brenster and he plays on Tuesday afternoons (2-6pm) at Diegos. Saturdays at Los Zarapes is mainly country tunes and Tuesdays at Diegos is more Jimmy Buffet/Beach type tunes. Jungle Juice (by the Dairy Queen) has live music (rock) and dancing. Playa Bruha has live music on Sundays?? I think....and I've only experienced that once...what a great time! Good rock band! Hope you find your favorites.....have fun! :-)

Winnipeg, Canada
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Info about an upcoming trip

Thanks for the info guys, I think we'll wait to Mid March, probably around the 12th or so for a two week stay. Your guys' input is greatly appreciated!

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan