We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

Oxford, Michigan
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

Looking for recommendations on deep sea fishing boats and captains. We have fished with Bibi Fleet one year and then one about three or four doors down (Escaulo?) another. Both boats and crews were good. We caught nice stripped marlin both times. Are there other fleets we should try? We speak fluent Spanish and bring our own gear. Tight lines.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

The vast majority of charters in Mazatlan do a good job. I have come to the conclusion that I like going with the faster boats such as Aries because although the slower boats(42 foot cruisers) at the old marina are cheaper it takes so long to get back and forth to the fishing grounds that these boats don't afford any advantage in regard to fishing time. My standard is that my cruiser must be able to do 15 knots per hour and those old marina boats do about half that. At the end of the day it is a real pain to take two hours to get back to the Marina.

Edited: 18 September 2011, 17:52
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

Tony, that's built-in siesta time, so you are all ready for a night on the town (and a fish feast!).

Edited: 18 September 2011, 18:49
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
808 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

lol, or a couple/three cold ones on the way back while you admire/savor the catch! :) I agree, though, it's good to get back home after the work is done...

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,646 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

I'm with Tony: I go with Aries because of the speed of the boats. When I pay for fishing, thats what I want to do. If I want a boat ride I take one of the catamarans in the Golden Zone.

Mentioned in this post
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
381 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

An example of why the slower boats are not the bargain they seem to be is last year I went on one of those 42 footers and we caught some nice Tuna. On the way back to the dock we encountered another school of Tuna but couldn't stay to fish for them becasue we were on our way home. On a faster boat we could have trolled the Tuna for an hour and probably caught a few and still made it back to the dock at the same time.

Duluth, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas, Alaska
Level Contributor
5,302 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

Another Aires fan here. I don't fish in Maz often, but Aires has treated me well in the past...

7. Re: Deep Sea Fishing - for late December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 09:19