We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu EB. How busy is it????

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Riu EB. How busy is it????

Hello TA

Never been to Mazatlan, been to Mexico 5 times and love it!!!! Thinking of booking a trip this December to the RIU. (Yes, I know that all of you will say don't go AI in MAZ, right?) With 3 Teenage boys that eat everything that isn't breathing, AI is usually a good choice for us. We will still enjoy some local restaurants too. The price is low enough that we can still go into town for outings and dinner without breaking the bank.

Is the RIU stil offering that weekend deal for locals? Love locals but have been reading reviews about how busy it is and how long you wait for an elevator. December 17-24th. What do you think?

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Riu EB. How busy is it????

The RIU is perfect for your situation with 3 teenage boys. (Not all of advise aginst AI I believe that AI has great advantages for many travelers.) Not only will your boys be well fed, but there are activities for them and they will meet other young people. The RIU is a nice place.

It isn't 'locals' that get weekend deals at the RIU, believe me. It is Mexican tourists whom we refer to as nationals, from across Mexico who buy vacation packages. The economy has hit national travelers the same as it's hit northern tourists, so who knows what this winter will bring. I think you will have a great time at the RIU either way.

colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Riu EB. How busy is it????

Thanks Mazzi

I do have a couple more questions about the RIU.

Any idea if the pools are heated? (I am such a wimp)

Do you think my teenagers would be allowed in the pool where the swim up bar is? They love that part too.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Riu EB. How busy is it????

mykidsmama. You can read my review, we went in June. Loved it there. Off season,kids back in school, so Not jambed packed., but Yes the buses came in on the Weekends. (you will find this all Over Mexico now as resort try to sell their rooms). Our Last two days, about 4 bus loads of School Grads arrived, then the Volumne did go Up.

We never waited longer than 3mins. for the Elevators.. there are 3 on the north and 3 on the south.

You will get good value for your $$ at the Riu, IMHO.

LOTS of things to do with the Annimation crew around the resort., Your teens should enjoy.

Re: Heated Pool.. NO they call it Tile Heated..LoL.. so Not heated. In fact there are Very Few pools heated in Mexico... very hard to Find.

The Resort will Get FULL,about Dec. 23.. all the Family's arrive in their Lovely Holiday outfits.

Young adults get in the Swim up pool, but NOT tweens,, they ask them to Leave.

Hope this helps.

Joy

colorado
Level Contributor
398 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Riu EB. How busy is it????

Ok thanks so much. My youngest is 16 but looks a bit older than that. Just wanted to make sure he wouldn't excluded.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,424 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Riu EB. How busy is it????

your welcome. feel free to ask any question..

The security that watch the pool Look at the color of Wrist Bands..LoL.

When the Grads arrived... they did Take over the Adult swim up Pool..so many, it got hard to Watch everyone.

don't worry.. You will have a Great time... Just expect Mexican Nationals to be there,and go with the flow.

We are going back to the Riu Vallarta for Dec., and do the Same there.

6. Re: Riu EB. How busy is it????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 11:17