We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Topic
Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

We are headed for Mazatlan next Tuesday after a couple of years break while we tried many other places in Mexico - all great also! We've read many of the postings from the last year so we are feeling pretty informed again and are very excited to be going "home."

We were wondering about a couple of restaurants at the end of the Cerritos "strip." At the very end of the road, there's one on the left and one on the right - both very casual and fun looking places. We actually ate at the one on the left once and had a great meal, and we've walked down on the beach there for oysters on the half, which were quite tasty.

After eating at the one restaurant, we were approached by a gringo who said we should never eat at these restaurants because of sanitation concerns. He said the kitchens clearly did not have facilities for ensuring clean dishes or sanitary food, and he proceded to recommend a restaurant back on the strip - maybe Roys which we concur is a great place to eat.

So any educated information on these other restaurants? Are they okay IYHO's? Or should we be concerned?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,186 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

We have eaten at Mr Lionso's Playa Bruha often. Twice this past October. Never had any issues. Lionso's may not be one of the Cerritos strip places you refer to... but it's close to the end. I do recall other TA posters referring to the places furthur on the Ceritos strip, but haven't partaken myself. BTW the postings were favorable.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

No, Lionsos is not one of the restaurants in question. We have eaten at Lionsos several times with favorable impressions. Don't know the names of the ones we are wondering about, or we could do a search. Perhaps someone will come up with the names...

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

Oh Oh Oh!

First off we are not talking about Mr Lionsos. Years ago we went to Cerritos, the original beach at the end of the road where the fishing boats come in in the mornings. This is still my favourite place in Mazatlan...the boats coming in and the opportuniy to bargain for whatever the guys bring in.

I was first sent to the place for the fresh oysters, absolutely delicious, and no gastro problems whatsoever. You need to meet some more knowlegeable gringos up there!

The restaurants on the beach do indeed look like they shoud have fallen into the ocean during whatever storm hit the beach. There are whatever several very good eating place up ther in the strip mall before you get to those places on the beach.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

Some others that are (or were) in the same area as Roy's are Last Drop, Karma Kitchen and Looney Bean. I suspect there is stiff competition for business in the area. I haven't heard anything negative about any of them in the strip mall area.

Edited: 04 November 2011, 03:52
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

Yes!! Thanks Neils for your reply. I remember watching them pull the boats in out of the water. The activities on the small landing beach are indeed very entertaining. Glad to hear you support the restaurants in that area. I did the Google maps "walk" by the two restaurants, but could not make out any restaurant names - anyone know why Google fuzzes out the text on the signs? Very annoying.

And no, Mazzi, those four are in the strip per se and not the ones in question.

Thanks to all for the information.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

I guess the use of the word restaurant has lead to some confusion. :-)

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
482 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

We were there last week. Had a beer on the one on the right. View was great but looking around while we had the beer, I doubt I would eat there. Also, there were no locals eating there which may be a clue.

The one on the left had more people in it but nit sure if anyone was eating.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

Here is an interesting blog site written by a full time resident of Maz. He and his family write about their experiences in Maz and other parts of Mexico. He recently wrote about his experience at the Cerrito beach restaurants.

My wife and I have eaten here before with absolutly no problems; the food is freash and well prepared and you can't beat the price.

It is a quirky, charming little corner of Maz that I would highly recommend.

http://vidamaz.blogspot.com/

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

WOW! Thanks smwinnipeg! The blog was great, and exactly the way we remember the spot. Glad to see they are still selling oysters on the beach. We get wonderful oysters here on the Oregon coast, but love to try them all over the US and Europe. Nothing seems to speak to the identity of a water area like oysters. Don't know if the prices are still the bargain they were last time (5 pesos per), but we'll be seeking them out.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cerritos Point Restaurants - Opinions?

Coleone,

I assume you are referring to the places that look like tin shacks at the VERY end. I've eaten there a few times ( YEARS AGO ) and nothing bad happened to me as in getting sick.

Friends of mine make a point of eating at the one on the right side ( if you are facing the ocean ) at least five or six times a trip to this day. They look filthy and old but a lot of places do.

The food eaten as I recall was fresh oysters and all they had for beverages was pop like Fanta etc. No coffee or tea.

I think if you travel to Mazatlan frequently enough you build up a natural immunity to the bacteria that is there. If a Mazatleco came to Edmonton he or she would be deathly ill from OUR water because their immune systems are not used to the bacteria in it. I'm referring here to the small amount of water you'd be exposed to from the cooking and washing of the food.

Anyway, I liked it because it was an adventure. I haven't eaten there recently though.