We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

ia
Level Contributor
94 posts
Save Topic
anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

Looks like some pretty good deals at Mazatlan--I imagine because of the safety concerns. Is it worth the good deal considerin the safety factor? ? Thanks dan

Lake Mills, Iowa
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

A very short answer........YES...........jump on it and have a blast!

Pueblo, Colorado
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

Go to Mazatlan and have a great time! Just like anywhere else, use your head. Stay away from unknown areas, don't walk by yourself late at night, etc. I often travel to Mazatlan by myself and have absolutely no issues. Most of the problems there are drug and extortion related and not directed at tourists.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

Just got back and I'm Going for all of December and January!! GO! Have fun!

Sudbury, ON
Level Contributor
66 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

After our experience during our first visit in March of last year, we have booked another week in March 2012. We are stuck travelling during March break as my wife is a public school teacher, and we usually have to pay a huge premium for that week, but not so in Mazatlan this winter. My parents, who stay in Mazatlan for 8 weeks each year let us know that the weather in February last year was a little bit cool in the mornings/evenings, but our experience mid-March was of pretty much perfect, sunny, warm, dry weather.

One benefit of vacationing in Mazatlan is that beyond the miles of awesome beaches, fantastic Pacific Ocean sunsets, and great prices, is the infrastructure that comes with a larger city. During the first hour of our trip last year, my wife snapped her achilles tendon. We were down at the far end of Cerritos and a waiting taxi wisked us to the Sharp Hospital. She was in the emergency department, being seen by an orthopedic surgeon before I could even get a hold of our out-of-country health insurance company on the phone. Our insurance company also suggested the Sharp Hospital as they have a direct billing relationship with them. My wife decided to have the tendon repaired there and start her recovery poolside rather than pack up and cancel our vacation to seek treatment at home (Northern Ontario). The surgery was done that same evening - she had a large private hospital room, was followed-up by the emergency doctor, the surgeon, an internist, and many nurses. Had this happened at home, she would probably still have been sitting in the emerg waiting room after this amount of time had passed. Not speaking Spanish was a bit of a challenge, but there was always someone around to translate. After a week recovering in the sun, we flew home to snowy Sudbury (she was upgraded to First Class) and started physiotherapy. She is now fully recovered, able to tip-toe up stairs and play volleyball.

With her on crutches or in a wheelchair after the surgery, everyone in Mazatlan that we met went out of their way to accomodate her in taxis, restaurants and shops. On the stop-over at the airport in Mexico City, an airport porter (not affiliated with our airline) ran to get a wheelchair and insisted on accompanying us until our connecting flight left. He sang songs to us and wisked us through the usual lineups at security and check-in desks.

The perfect weather, friendly people and great healthcare all combined to make us book again for this coming spring. We can't wait - staying at the El Cid Marina Beach as we tend to like it a bit quieter towards the North end, but not so far out of touch from the Golden Zone.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,364 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

I just returned from my 3rd month this year ( Jan, Feb, Oct) and can't wait for Feb to get here so I can go back for 2 more months! I love Mazatlan!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

It´s awesome to see the snowbirds and vacationers rolling in, after it being so quiet during the past few months. Everyone is in a great mood, happy and smiling. We were out driving around last night, checking things out in the Golden Zone, and there was a huge University group arriving in town for some sort of conference. Buses and people everywhere. Not all the restaurants were busy but there were people, and considering it was a Wednesday night, a surprising number of locals out as well.

The band was set up and ready to go at Gus Gus, and Twisted Mama's also had a Mexican band called El Ebano. We hadn't the opportunity to listen to them yet, so we popped by. Imagine our surprise to see the place packed and nowhere to sit! The lead singer is quite talented and she put on a lively performance of singing and dancing, taking requests from the mixed audience for various dance styles. From what we saw, it all looks quite promising for the winter.

Edited: 10 November 2011, 17:30
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

That's good news Mazzi! I look forward to being there on Semana Santa! I enjoy the festive atmosphere.

Walla Walla...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

Dan, you should have no worries. Mazatlan is like any big city in the USA, be smart, just like you would in down town Seattle. i travel to Mazatlan 6 times per year and have never encountered any trouble. I do travel as a single woman many times. I just do not carry large amounts of money and wear lots of gold and diamonds !! Nor would I do that in a large city anywhere. Enjoy, explore the cental historical area, the beaches, go fishing, and eat lots of great good. We will be there in February as well. Carnival can be over the top, so that would be my only warning...they party till the wee hours in the morning !!

Mazatlan
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

Nope its not safe for tourists.

So says the State Dept in the US & Canada & now Australia.

But best you decide for yourself.

Edited: 10 November 2011, 22:32
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone goin to mazatlan in feb considerin the travel advisor

Yes it's so dangerous for tourists that to date there have been a grand total of 0 tourists killed! Oh my! LOL