We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit. I'm thinking of going this year in September. Is that a good month to go?

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
301 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

Only 'danger' you will encounter will be from sharks :(

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

He means timeshare sharks. They will swarm around you at the airport. Just go straight to the taxi's outside. Do not attend a timeshare presentation no matter what they offer. If you do attend, Do Not Buy! The deals on the secondary market are much better

The tourist areas are extremely safe. Just practice common sense like any other city. The only tourist incident that I am aware of happened recently at the Riu and since that occured inside the hotel it was likely guest on guest.

Lake Mills, Iowa
Level Contributor
117 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

Sept will be warm, very warm. But IMHO it's always a great time in Mazatlan.......enjoy (and it is safe)

dsw
Toronto
Level Contributor
281 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

no

Shawnigan Lake...
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

I started to vist Mazatlan as a 9 year old child.....until I was 16 my family would drive down every few years.....Mazatlan was wonderful then and now.

As an adult we have visted Mazatlan 5 times while on a cruise ship and have had many lovely cruise days, we have friends who spread their vists between Nuevo Vallarta and Mazatlan, we have friends whose elderly parents spend 6 months in Mazatlan and have no worries for their safety <----that speaks volumes.....if 80++ something elders can spend 6 months every year there and not fear their safety then I would be fine there.

I think bad things happen every where......Kelowna BC is a lovely place to vacation but I am sure that this late summer one sunny day, no Delta Grand hotel guest expected the gunfire and murder that happened.

Colorado
Level Contributor
202 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

I would think Mazatlan is just as safe as any other city.

Tourists need to be more observant, stay off the unbeaten path so to speak and practice being more cautious! Just because you choose to rent a car does not mean you should take off for unfamiliar places.

We have vacationed in Mazatlan quite a number of times and have not experienced any problems. "An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of sorrow."

Beware of your surroundings-don't take risky chances. I have been reading a lot of the stories about Mexico and it sounds like some of the tourists put themselves in harms way. Any misfortunes can occur in the US , Canada or any other country if you don't practice safety at all times. Why go wandering off late at night or early a.m. by yourself in a strange country? Be careful who you let befriend you inside or outside the resort.

Opportunity is easy to accomplish if you allow yourself to be a target!

Enjoy & be safe!

7. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 27 January 2012, 11:35
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
730 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

Yes, it is very safe and lots of fun too.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,709 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

cliu, I don't know where you are getting your information, wait, yes I do. CTV. Unfortunately you are rather misinformed. The investigators know exactly who it is, but must wait for the victim statement so they can finalize the charges. There was video footage and plenty of other crime scene evidence, including eye witnesses who can place him partying with the Canadian group in the bar. Lots of this story hasn't come out yet, but it will. And actually, it was a week ago today, just so you know.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 07:33
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Mazatlan a safe place to visit?

Apparently anyone who watches CTV for news related to Mexico will be misinformed. That goes for CBC too, as it's obvious neither network has any concern for accuracy. Not to play favorites Fox News in the US thrives on Mexico bashing.

Edited: 27 January 2012, 09:41