We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fish Report

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Elko, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Fish Report

We are coming to Maz Feb 11- 18 and we would like to go fishing. I looked for a fish report however I am not able to find anything recent.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fish Report

Everything was pretty slow last week but it should get a little better. This time of year is the most likely time of year to get skunked. The Striped Marlin and an occasional school of Tuna makes up the deep-sea fishing right now. This time of year your are better off doing some bottom-fishing.

This the weekly report for the Aries fleet;

http://www.worldwidefishing.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=3239?page_type=salt&state_page=mexico&company=Cortez+Yacht+Charters+Cabo+San+Lucas

Edited: 05 February 2012, 21:02
Elko, Minnesota
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fish Report

Thanks. Any suggestions on who to use as a fishing guide?

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fish Report

in n out fishing

Aries fleet

escualo

Jim's sportfishing-deep-sea only

There are a few more.

I have been satisfied with Aries fleet and have fished with them for years.

Google any of the above to get their website. Depending how much time you have, I would just go to El Cid marina about 1:30 in the afternoon and see what they bring in. You can make reservations right there at their office but I always make my reservations right at the El Cid resort.

Raleigh, North...
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fish Report

I read that Pueblo Bonito Maz. has some kind of jetty that one can walk out on to fish. T/F?

Can one obtain equipment (rent?) there or should I bring my own (air)?

Seattle
Level Contributor
422 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Fish Report

The jetty use to have a sign prohibiting access, might still be there, pretty much ignored by the locals. Never seen a fish caught there. To the north, there are some rocks that I have fished off last couple of years, caught some yellow eye with big cast-masters, and have seen roosters taken there by a local hand-lining with mullet. "Cast-master" type tackle available across street at Johnson's for purchase, poles can be bought locally but not very good selection, I have also borrowed, but best to take one if you intend surf-casting without a guide. Need something capable of casting heavy lures a long way. St Croix makes a 9' (or about) 4 piece surf-casting pole nice for travel, breaks down to about 30", bought one last year and pretty happy with it. A 4 piece trout rod would probably not work. No idea what a 2 piece would cost for airfare these days.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fish Report

The sign "prohibiting" fishing is still there. That's all I know.......never seen anyone fishing from there, it is pretty public and visible lol!

western canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fish Report

husband and friends went fishing on wed and caught 6 marlin........

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fish Report

Well, I would assume they were Striped Marlin. That is an epic day of fishing this time of year. Do you know who they went with?

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
364 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fish Report

I've seen quite a few people fishing off the rocks and outcroppings at Playa Bruja (north end of town by Mr. Lionso's Restaurant). Not sure how good the fishing is or what they are catching but you may want to check it out if you want to do shore fishing. Maybe someone here has some more info on that spot.

western canada
Level Contributor
61 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fish Report

the name of the person is Jamie Chavez contact #044-6691-593401

home phone 980-2346 worked their buns off, had a great time