We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fishing

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fishing

Would it be possible to charter a boat a day in advance or should you book ASAP ? Be there mar 22-April 5

Thank you

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fishing

I've always booked my fishing when I got there. I seem to get the best deals that way. However your time there is Spring Break. Mazatlan does not have a traditional "spring Break" with rowdy college kids but it can be a little more crowded so booking in advance may not be a bad option.

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fishing

Thank you

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fishing

It sounds like there is no need to book ahead of time. There are plenty of boats available;

Here is the latest report from Aries fleet:

THE MAZATLAN FISHING REPORT FOR THE ARIES SPORTFISHING FLEET

While only a few charters this past week, the striper action spiraled upwards, even with the full moon condition and most of the boats had multiple opportunities for billfish as the water temps continued to improve. The inshore action continued to produce a mixed-bag catch that allowed for more than 16 fish per boat average. The overall counts for the offshore waters for 7 days fished reflected 11 stripers, with 4 released. The 4 inshore fishing days reflected 3 jack crevalle, 1 shark, 1 seabass, 17 white snapper, 27 perch and 16 red snapper, (all in the 12-15 lb. range).

Mazatlan Climate: Partly cloudy days with a slight chance for rain Friday thru Sunday. Temps ranged from 49 nights to 80 daytime highs.

Sea Conditions: Some light surface wind chop but no swell during the early week and then mostly calm waters. Inshore tmps stable at 70 degrees and the offshore waters, from about 15 miles offshore, risingg to 74-75 degrees.

Best Fishing Area: Out to the southwest of the Marina El Cid, starting at about 15-18 miles or so and outbound from there.

Best Lure/Bait: The billfish were eager to take the rigged baits.

Bait Supply: Remained good throughout the week even with the full moon condition.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fishing

Thank you. Is it better to go deep sea fishing in that area ? This will be first time to Mazatlan.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fishing

As stated in the report the Striped Marlin seem to be warming up so deep-sea fishing could be good if you want some Striped marlin. Generally bottom-fishing is much more fruitful this time of year. The best time to deep-sea fish in Mazatlan is btween late May to late October.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fishing

I always deep-sea fish but for my upcoming trip in early April I;m going to keep on eye on the Snapper and Corvina and will probably do a couple of bottom-fishing trips. You get alot more action and it's more relaxing. This time of year I've taken too many eight hour boat rides deep-sea fishing with nary a bite. A good rule of thumb is that the deep-sea fishing doesn't get good until the off-shore water is near 80F.

Edited: 16 February 2012, 13:38
7. Re: Fishing

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2013, 10:19
Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan