We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning-ATM cloning

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Warning-ATM cloning

Several people in Mazatlan, including me reported that their ATM cards had been compromised. The guy at Bank of America told me that the thieves put a device in the machine that copies the ATM card then manufactures a facsimile to be used elsewhere.

My suggestion is that you refrain from using an ATM machine in Mazatlan until the authorities get on top of it. My guess is that since its so widespread the banking authorities will take some sort of corrective action pretty fast.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

Thank you for this very important information. I hope it gets resolved for all concerned.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

Several other victims have just reported that they are VERY cautious about using ATM's all the time. They say they KNOW there was no cloning device on the ATM, and it has been reported that Banco SANTANDER has been hacked and that is where they are getting the info.Anyone who has used a SANTANDER ATM it seems, is at risk. They (Apparently) have hacked into the banks computers and extracted the info direct from the bank.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

I cannot remember which city/town it was in, but this happened somewhere along the Pacific coast of Mexico within the last 10 years somewhere. I believe they implicated somebody employed by the bank that time.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

In the US at least, they've graduated to sitting across the street in a car or van with a laptop. Then picking up the info off a debit card with an electronic device that reads the signal from the debit card being swiped.

In many cases they attach a micro camera to transmit a video feed to the laptop. I understand many people like the little bit extra on their money exchange by using an ATM card. However you must remember if they comprimise your card they have direct access to your bank balances.

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

As mentioned, the reports have all been from those using Banco Santander ATMs, and as reported it seems to be their problem (and it's a BIG one). It is probably Mexico wide with Santander, since it involves their data base, and not likely exclusive to Mazatlan. The charges are being put through from as far south as Cuernavaca. There is NO reason to believe that using your ATM card in any other bank's machines will have any problems.

Chandler, Arizona
Level Contributor
133 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

This has been an issue in the U.S. for years (but of course nobody says this is a reason not to go to the U.S.); the best advice I've seen would probably apply in Mexico as well - use only ATMs inside banks (not the ones on the sidewalk or freestanding off-site).

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

there isnt much the bank can do about it as the crooks snap the reader on and snap it off pretty quickly. There is no reason this should ever happen as it is easy to detect the devices and remove them your self. if you can remove the card reader yourself its bogus.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,582 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

The last couple posts are, of course correct. However what happened here is the bank computers were hacked. There was no clone machine on any ATM. They got in to the banks computer program and got the information for EVERY card that had used an ATM with that bank. We are talking millions and millions of dollars, and growing! (The same thing has happened many times before to many other banks.)

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

Remember if they compromise your credit card, it's the bank's money they get a hold of. If they get your debit card info, it's YOUR money they're withdrawing or buying things with. Hopefully they'll sort things out eventually, but sometimes that takes weeks and leaves people short of cash to pay their bills.

Never use a debit card where you hand it to someone who takes it out of your sight. Then as the poster says above, limit debit card use to locations like inside a bank where lots of cameras make attaching a cloning device or lap top reader too risky.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Warning-ATM cloning

"Remember if they compromise your credit card, it's the bank's money they get a hold of. If they get your debit card info, it's YOUR money they're withdrawing or buying things with."

This & the fact that debit cards do not give airmiles is the reason I have never & will never own or use one.

Just my two centavos worth.