We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
912 posts
117 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

So I figure I'll post this in each of the three forums to get an idea from each travel group. We have been to Mexico twice(Maz and Cancun). We are planning a trip for probably Feb or March for our anniversary. We really enjoyed Maz, but wife wants to be open on each of the three this time.

Just wondering what you like or dislike about PV? If you have been to any of the others your thoughts?

We don’t want to do any AI places; we are open on accommodations as far as hotel, timeshare, condo, etc. We like to have a place with a fridge. Probably wouldn’t want to go above 150 per night and really probably more like 100-125 per night. We are pretty laid back travelers. Just need to be on the beach and close to lots of options for food and shopping.

Thanks in advance

Arkansas
Level Contributor
590 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

Hands down. Pueblo Bonito Maz. great location; great people; great beach, and all affordable.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

If you haven't been to PV and you would like to try someplace different, go to PV. We go to Mzt at least once a year and also go to either PV or some other place in Mexico every year. After you check out PV, then go back to Mzt. again. They are both wonderful but very different. PV is more tropical but the beaches are easier walking in Mzt.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,751 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

As a matter of fact, go to Google maps and check both areas out. They both have street view. The area we like the most in PV is the Los Muertos Beach area. It is walking distance to countless restaurants and shops.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,442 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

I have been to all three and rank them in this order, 31 Mazatlan, #2, Old PV a place near the board walk, close to everything. 3. Nuevo PV, nice condos, but way too far from shopping, restaurants, etc. 4. Cabo--its like a Arizona with a lousy beach. Some nice restaurants and shopping, but more expensive then Mazatlan. Remember that this is only my opinion based on what you explained as your needs/wants.

Tacoma,WA
Level Contributor
912 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

Thank you

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,533 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

As stated, all three are quite different. Maz you already know, at least a bit. (Each time ou come, ou make new discoveries.) Cabo has some spactacular sites, but the beaches tend to be rough. It is more exposed to big waves and currents. My problem with Cabo was that I like 'authentic' Mexico and Cabo is more Marina Del Rey than Mexico. Also rather pricy.

PV is OK. I have been there a couple times. Again the 'Authentic' area was too small to hold my interest. here is some beautiful scenery to the south around Mismaloya (Sp?) and some good diving. It is also more pricy than Maz, but not like Cabo.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 01:34
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

I have been to Cabo and I agree with the previously stated sentiment. Cabo has nice views, great fishing but you don't even know you're in Mexico. You can walk the beach in Mazatlan at the Golden Zone for miles and most of it is hard pan so it's an easy walk. I plan on going to PV sometime soon but i've heard the beach isn't as nice but you do have more jungle and some authentic Mexican culture in old PV from what I hear. I look forward to seeing PV but it will be hard to surpass the diversity in things to do there is in Mazatlan. For me it's no contest between Cabo and Mazatlan. I haven't been back to Cabo in ten years. I've been to Mazatlan 20 times in the same period.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 02:47
Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,033 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

Mazatlan is on the top of our list because it is so handy; busses, taxis pulmonias ect right at your doorstep regarless of where you are, great restraunts, affordable resort,s condos, hotels ect.

The people of Mazatlan are the most freindl,y gracious, humble people we have met in any of our travels; here in the U.S.; Canada; or Mexico, hands down.

As far as affordability & the bang for the buck Mazatlan is the bestchoice of the three.

P.V is one of those places we can go to once in 3-4 years & not feel bad about not returning for awhile.We've stayed both in Nuevo Vallara & the old section & find them to be about the same.

Like Roger said the old section is too small to hold our interest for very long & that is one of the rreasons we vacation in Mexico.

We always find something to do while there but it's not Mazatlan

Cabo is Cabo, built as a tourist destination & it shows.TRhe people are not the same as in mazatlan most are transients there long enough to make a few bucks & move on, not the friendly helpfull folks you find in Mazatlan.

We have been there twice, both times as we were leaving we said "we've been to Cabo no need to return" I suppose we may someday but it won't be anytime in the forseeable future..

Edited: 15 July 2012, 14:58
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

Rick - With regard to mentioning you like to be on the beach. Nuevo Puerto Vallarta to the north of PV does have nice sandy beaches. However in Puerto Vallarta itself the beach is only marginal at best.

Well around the cape from Cabo San Lucas in the San Jose del Cabo area east of the airport, there are long stretches of sandy beaches. The sand there is not fine or packed down like Mazatlan, but very coarse and soft. The kind of sand you sink down into very easily.

In the main Cabo area there are significant rocky areas with come crescent sand beach areas. On the Pacific side of the town (where it's not real easy to get in to) there is a significantly wide miles long beach.

The sand is also pretty soft there, but the main thing is it can be quite a hike to the water. We've stayed at the Hotel Finisterra on top of the bluff. After a steep hike down, then it was a loooong walk across the sand. I felt like Lawrence of Arabia by the time we finally hit the water.

As Roger mentioned, the currents can be quite challenging in the Cabo area. Especially on the Pacific side where the majority of the sandy beaches are.

Edited: 15 July 2012, 15:12
Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trying to decide between Maz, Cabo, or PV

I have been to all three.PV being my favorite.Great restaurants,people and plenty of activities.Cabo my next favorite.A little more pricey tho(unless you know where to go).Least favorite of the three is Mazatlan(sorry).It has been a while since I was there,but I thought it was dirty.I like to snorkel and scuba and the water was horrible.It is the least expensive of the three and it does have some excellent restaurants.I don't think that the locals are as friendly as they are as in the other 2.Remember this is only one guys opinion.Since it has been so long a may have to get back to Maz and give it another try.PS I have been to PV 12 times,Cabo % times and Maz 3 times.Happy travels where ever you decide!