We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marina del Rey scam?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Marina del Rey scam?

Has anyone else recently been contacted by Claudia Gonzalez at Marina del Rey in Mazatlan about alleged past due maintenance fees + late fees? She called us yesterday around 3:00 with a high-pressure spiel, and wanted us to send the money immediately, or they would have to turn us over to a collection agency. That would happen that very day at 4:00. (We had given our Marina del Rey time as part of the purchase at another resort, so we thought that we were done with it) We haven't heard a peep from these people in 5 years, even though they have our phone number, email address & street address. This seems fishy to us.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

Uh-Oh

Better check your contract & see if your old Marina Del Rey property actually got transfered to the new company. unless they agreed in writing to take over your maintainance fees & other financial obligations you may be stuck.

Just out of curiosity was the new company Torrenza Boutique?

At one time the were somehow invovled with Marina del Rey, after we declined an offer to buy there they they took us over to look at "one of our other properties that may be more in your financial range" it was in fact Marina del Rey, & yes we declined that offer too.

Life is good ; )

Edited: 20 July 2012, 16:08
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

No, not Torrenza. We sat thru a presentation one time with them, and ruder people I have never met. Ours, unfortunately, went to the infamous La Jolla. We could be in for an unfortunate surprise, but no communication of any kind for 5 years seems highly unusual.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

Hope all turns out well for you & yes no comunication for 5 years would seem a little strange.

Call their bluff & see where it goes, it may just be a different set of scammers with a new curve on the timeshare shuffle.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

Excuse me folks I don't mean to annoy ya, but could ya accompany me to my place called La Jolla?

It's a little place just up the street & I'm sure like me you'll find it sweet.

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

We have a similar experience going on right now. How did it work out for you? We're freaking out!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

We worked through an attorney, & ended up paying 4 years of maintenance fees (for which we had never been billed!), a fee to terminate the contract, and a small amount of late fees. The attorney is really worth it. At first, Marina del Rey wanted an exorbitant amount, but when the attorney contacted them, the negotiations began. They really try to frighten Americans into paying exorbitant amounts in order to protect their credit rating. DO NOT give a credit card number under any circumstances! (my parents were scammed out of almost $5000 this way).

Sacramento...
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

Marina Del Rey worked out with us a payment that will pay off the remainder of our contract (15 years) plus back payment. It works out to less than their offer just to repay the four years of back payments. Hopefully we're not getting scammed.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

If you want to know numbers, give us a call. We had a contract through 2024 that we had purchased from a third party. We'd be happy to give you any info that might be helpful. Again, DO NOT use a credit card!!! I can't emphasize that enough.

Rolla, Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

Can you tell me the last time you were at Marina Del Rey? Was Marina Del Sol still next to Del Rey? If so did Marina Del Sol look like it was open? Thanks for any info.

10. Re: Marina del Rey scam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 15:31