We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ocean Temperature

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Ocean Temperature

Hello All,

I have never been to this side of Mexico and considering a stay at El Cid Castillo. We like to spend a fair bit of time in the ocean and only familiar with the Pacific on the Canadian coast which can be a wee bit chilly.

Thank you in advance for your help and comments!

shulzy

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ocean Temperature

We are presently staying down the street from El Cid and while I don't have the exact temperature the water is very warm. It seems as warm as the Caribean to me. We're in and out of the sea constantly.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ocean Temperature

Thank you!! I neglected to mention I would be staying there in late March!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ocean Temperature

I'd be surprised if there was a huge difference by March. Our waiter at the Social Cafe yesterday is from California so his English is very good. He was saying the weather here is very good in November, December, January and February. By March he says it gets too hot. That's one man's opinion so take it for what it's worth but you might appreciate the water in March.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
247 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ocean Temperature

I had to look it up!

Current water temp off Vancouver is 7C or 45F. Mazatlan 85F

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
755 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ocean Temperature

March is a great month. It is starting to get warmer but definitely not too hot.

Ontario
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ocean Temperature

I was hoping one of the posters that knows more about this than I would have chimed in by now, but.....

November is the long end of summer, March is the end of winter.....quite the difference when it comes to water temperatures! Water temperatures can vary rather a lot depending on the winds, tides, and whatever weather cycle we're in, but I doubt it gets to 70 deg F at all during Janauary February, and perhaps staggers over there by the end of March. Lots of kids frolicking, a few adults , but not me!

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong, but we don't partake of the ocean during our winter stays January to mid-March.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ocean Temperature

Actually the water right now isn't 85, it's actually in the 78 to 80 range depending on the conditions and time of day.

We need to remember that water temperatures will always lag behind the air temperature changing seasons. Sometimes by a lot...say a couple months. For example the water can still be quite warm going into the December, and also have a winter chill holding into March. In fact this year the water was still unseasonably cool in early April.

While the air temperature in March can be warm, the water may still be cool. That's why March is the Mazatlan occasionally has some fog. This is due to March oftentimes being prone to strong northerly breezes churning up the seas and bringing lower colder water to the surface.

The last two years saw inordinately cold water during that time period due to the La Nina conditions. That has broken up, in fact we may be switching right into a warm water El Nino condition.

If that holds true and La Nina sets in the water will not cool down that much. You might expect the ocean water temperature to be in the high 60's to low 70's F. by late March. Combined with the predominant sunny days in March, that won't feel bad at all.

Edited: 09 November 2012, 01:16
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
360 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ocean Temperature

I recall a couple years ago we went down for spring break (3rd week of March) and we could barely stand the cool ocean water. Even the pools were cool in the morning. Of all my trips to Mazatlan, October was the best. Air temps were nice and very warm (about 85 degrees) and the ocean was nice and warm too which was great because we love the ocean more than the pools.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ocean Temperature

Thank you everyone for your posts on my question. Much appreciated.

10. Re: Ocean Temperature

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2013, 10:16