We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Importing food items

Sooke, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Importing food items

My wife & I will be arriving in Mazatlan on Jan 2. We'd like to bring a gift of smoked salmon to friends of ours there. Does anyone know if this would be allowed through customs?

Thanks

Mazatlán, Sin...
Level Contributor
2,514 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Importing food items

A friend of mine who comes down for the winter every year, ALWAYS brings a number of packages of commercially vacuum packed smoked salmon with him and has never had any problem. IF it was home-packed and obviously not a commercial product, there might be some problem, but if it is vacuum packed, I doubt it.

Sooke, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Importing food items

Thank you for the prompt reply. I'll make sure to get store bought packaged products. I keep telling our friends how good our salmon is and would like them to try it...smoked salmon wil be on the menu!

mazatlan
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Importing food items

When i came thru the airport a week and half ago they had a food sniffing dog sniff the luggage as it came into the airport off the belt. I had never seen that i and come to Maztalan allot. I thought it was for money or drugs but i saw the dog alert to a womens carryone and found some sandwiches so she just turned them over and she got a lecture i was lucky as i was carring ham slices that i always bring. I guess not anymore. The dog also might been able to detect cash and drugs i dont know though.

Sooke, Canada
Level Contributor
74 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Importing food items

Well, if they ask you if you're bringing anything in to Mexico you should declare it. It may not be allowed but it's better to declare anything you're brinigng in.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Importing food items

Well, I doubt it was a food sniffing dog. Mazatlan has had drug dogs for at least the last ten years.

Now dogs being dogs, if someone had some good smelling sandwiches

they might have slipped on their duties just a little.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Importing food items

Using dogs at the airport and border crossings are common. Sometimes they are in public viewing areas as marlinman experienced. However they also may be in areas where air travelors do not go, such as outside the baggage area prior to the bags coming in on the belt.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,713 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Importing food items

Sorry,these dogs smell and seek out everythingl! Last year I accidentally had a leftover piece of kobassa in a container, dog and a couple of armed guards put me through endless searches and embarrassment. I would not take anything without eating it all again, I just plain forgot. Did not want to get food poisoning from WestJet food! I would not risk it!

Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Importing food items

I've never had a problem with food served on Westjet, but of course it depends on the gateway where the food is boarded, same as any other airline. Westjet keeps things pretty real.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
105 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Importing food items

I take a large ham everytime I go for some friends. I was told you allowed to bring PORK but nothing else. ???????

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,245 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Importing food items

I got bag searched once going into Mexico in 20+ trips because the Xray machine couldnt see through the 6 books I had in the outer pockets of my bag. When the inspector opened the bag, he got hit with the smell of 6 Everything bagels - and asked if I had food. I explained (in bad Spanish) it was special bread from NYC for a hotelier in Merida. No problem. I bring food down probably on every trip - usually trail mix, chocolates, sea salt (gifts) - have never had any problem.

Fresh fruits, vegetables, meats are usually what they're concerned about. At most, they would seize the salmon - you wont end up on the persona non grata list for that.

suitcaseready.com