We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why is airfare so high?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, CO
Level Contributor
366 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Why is airfare so high?

We are planning on visiting in June from Denver. I have been checking airfare for some time now. It is consistently $645 (US Airways through Phoenix). For a very breif period a couple months back it did drop to $493 but we weren't ready to book and even that was way higher than we have ever paid before. Now we are ready and I can't find a deal.

Do I book now at $645 or is there a chance for a "sale" or will it go up even more if I wait? Not sure what to do. What are the airfare trends? Is it high from everywhere?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why is airfare so high?

From Atlanta its higher tha its ever been We are hoping to hoo up with Cal-jet if they survive and are still around. 199 RT from Houston promo I;m sure.

We can get to Houston from ATL relatively cheap. But who knows what will fares be in late OCT 2013???

, and MZT flight leaves at 9:00AM making an impossible connection so we would need an overnight in Houston. It all becomes a royal pain in time and the cost ends up a "wash".

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
776 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why is airfare so high?

Jeepman - We are still looking at US Airways for November, 677 each R/T from Chicago, but still about 200 cheaper than anyone else. The kicker is that they fly every day, not just when it's convenient for them. I think we'll stick with US Airways. Plus, (BIG PLUS), we are on the beach having libations by 1:30 the same day we leave Chicago.

Edited: 14 January 2013, 21:36
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why is airfare so high?

Watching the trends I would say it won't go down for awhile unfortunately.

Quilcene, Washington
Level Contributor
4,046 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why is airfare so high?

Supply & demand, less planes = less seats, which means more people wanting to sit their butt in one of them.

Pay or stay home, the airlines could care less which one you choose someone will pay the higher fares.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 00:42
Indiana...
Level Contributor
618 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why is airfare so high?

I would love to go to Mazatlan but its almost impossible to get there easily from Pittsburgh. It takes 3 flights to get there plus an overnight or extremely long layover. Was thinking to trying to get a flight from Pittsburgh to Houston then connecting with CalJet. The price you mention sounds great compared to what is charged from Pittsburgh.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why is airfare so high?

From Ontario we flew via Mexico City this year. Might be worth a look-see.

Whitley Bay, United...
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why is airfare so high?

Airfare to Mazatlan is ridiculous. We just paid $1099 each return, for travel to London ( and the regular price is around $850 ) We paid more because it's high season when we are going but it's twice the distance at least, than a trip to Mazatlan would be, so it really doesn't make any sense.

The least I've paid to go to Mazatlan was about $400 return and the most I've paid was about $600 return.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why is airfare so high?

I'm totally bummed. Prices last week were more than $160 per person cheaper. I can't bring myself to book at this week's prices but I know that it's unlikely to go down. Should have booked last week!!

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Why is airfare so high?

This thread shows why it's so imperative Cal Jet Airlines continues to provide competition. As they continue to siphon off passengers and show cities with new direct flights can fill seats, other airlines will drop prices or add flights to compete.

The situation with the airlines is very reminiscent to the cruise industry that cut costs by cutting out stops. Customers accepted the very questionable explanation given as in their best interest, so the lines have no real motivation to add any stops back in now.

The minute a few routes put Mazatlan back on the tour and cruisers talk about how much they enjoyed it, you watch how fast the other lines bring the day stop in Mazatlan back.

Edited: 15 January 2013, 08:27
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why is airfare so high?

I recall flying Frontier from Atlanta , via Denver, in 2004 or 5 for about $500 PPRT on a near full A319. Frontier dropped out and we used Continental ATL to Houston. for aout 600 PPRT. They flew the small 50 seater from Houston to MZT. It was usually full until 2009 or 10. 2010 I recall 5 or 6 empty seats. In 2012, last month of service by United/Continental yje plane was full. I assume the other players, Alaska, US Airways, American have/had a similar experience. Drop off in patrons going to MZT so they curtail or drop service. Those who do go end up paying more to get seats on the fewer flights. Bummer! Part of the problem is fewer folks heading to MZT. We who do go aee the difference and talk about it on this TA forum. Occupancy down, restaurants less crowded or sadly, closed. Bad publicity and exagerated damger issues of drug violence. Sinaloa cartel etc.

Will the air traffic come back? I hope so, and with return lower prices.

We all who still go to MZT know the safety issue is overblown. Our driends wonder why we continue to go to such an unsafe area of Mexico, and we continue to report back that we see no unsafe conditions in our travel to Mazatlan.