We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report January 12-29

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report January 12-29

I wrote a trip report a few days back and I pressed the back button and lost it all! So here goes!

I arrived at 200 in the afternoon on the flight from Calgary. There are no direct flights from Winnipeg so I went through Calgary. The flight was easy and I was greeted by my friend Chicken who picked me up at the airport. It was nice to be greeted by my amigo at the airport. A quick ride to El Cid and my vacation is underway. I opted to stay at the El Cid Castilla this as price was right. It is a large resort and not really for me. I slept there and left in the morning once my day got started.

In no particular order I will provide my experiences and observations.

Restaurants and things to do:

I enjoyed many good meals while I was in Mazatlan. One of the best meals I had was at Fat Fish I had the all you can eat ribs. Two for 180 peso a good deal and lots of ribs!

I also enjoyed imperial shrimp at Playa De bruha. Playa De Bruha is a beautiful beach it is where the surfers hang out it is fun to watch them ride the waves. I got a ride there some friends but I think there is a bus that goes there. Mr Lionsos has excellent food and is right on the beach. I was there on a Sunday and they had live music at 400.

On a Thursday I went with my firends to Stone Island we drove to the docks and took the panga across. If you want to go the Sabalo Centro bus or pulmonia can take you. I went to Letys for lunch. It was a perfect day that day. The sun was shining it was hot and the ocean was a brilliant blue! Stone island has a vast beach that is perfect for walking on. The big palm trees and rustic restaurants add to the charm of Stone Island. I had the shrimp and chicken skewers the were delicious and plentiful. Phillippe and Phillippe Junior will get you whatever you need and treat you like family. We spent the whole day there I swam in ocean and found some pretty shells on the beach. It was a very relaxing day.

I also had 2 for one appetizers at the Saloon it is the Friday special. I had the potatoe wraps and chicken fingers. It was more than enough for me at 110 peso it was cheap. I had the junior burger and it was a good sized burger and was enough for me.

Fresh shrimp direct from the shrimp ladies is on my list as a must do. I went by pulmonia picked up the shrimp and took it to Dunias. Dunias is located around the corner from the shrimp ladies we had one and a half kilos (there was three of us) and we had ceviche, garlic and diablo shrimp. It was as fresh as can be! It was a good way to spend the day especially if it is cool on the beach.

THINGS TO DO:

One of the things I look forward to is Diegos Beach Bash on Tuesday afternoon. Brenster always puts on a good show! It is all you can drink for 250 peso from 2-6. The dancefloor is sand and they have installed a new deck.

Downtown cathedral and market is always fun. The Sabalo Centro bus will take you there.

I enjoy a good walk and the beach and the Malecon make it easy to enjoy a good walk.

Live music is found at many restaurants some of the ones I enjoy are Suki at the Saloon on Monday at Twisted Mamas Friday. I still enjoy the band at Gus y Gus and there are many others..Check the Pacific Pearl or Mazatlan life website for details.

OBSERVATIONS AND TIPS:

Let me start by saying I have been going to Mazatlan for 14 years now andxfor past 7 years I have went on my own. I take buses to downtown and all over. I have always been treated very well and never felt unsafe. It was very quiet in Mazatlan but I met my friends and found lots to do!

This year I bought a cell phone from Telcel. It cost 200 peso I got 100 minutes with it. I was able to keep in touch with my friends down there as well as my family up north. To phone or text the US and Canada you just put 001 dial the area code and number. I thought it was a better value than phone cards. It also works back in Canada.

That is my trip report if you have questions please feel free to ask. Also check out my slide show on tripwow if you like......

Mazatlanfan

Black Hawk
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Excellent, informative TR! Many thanks.....

2. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 16:31
surrey bc
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Where exactly do you go to buy the phone from Telcel?

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

The France de Fabrica (something like that) store at Grand Plaza sells the prepaid carrier phones, Telcel and MoviStar. Also many of the OXXOs and Farmacias.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,513 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Excellent trip report and the info about cell phones is important to many visitors. That question is asked of me almost as many times as

"which is the best transportation from the airport?" and "Is it safe in Mazatlan?" By the way what is "Chicken's" real name?

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Thanks mazatlanfan, was wondering where your trip report was. Nothing more on the El Cid? Guess we better get to Diegos this time, sounds like fun.

Like you, we are flying to Calgary and then on to Mazatlan. I might try the prepaid phone thing, Glad you had a great time with friends. We leave in less than 2 weeks.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,070 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Thanks for the informative TR! We plan on going to Stone Island since we've never done that on any of our previous 6 visits to Mazatlan.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
58 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Great trip report. Glad you had a wonderful vacation.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
181 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Happy to read your trip report; glad to see that you had a great time once again and that your enthusiasm for all things Mazatlan is still alive and well. Good info about cells phones; I may give that a look see for sure. Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us. Leaving on Feb 16th and we can't wait.

Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report January 12-29

Thanks eveyone glad you enjoyed my report. To answer the question about cell phone I got mine at the Telcel store in the golden zone it is near the dairy queen on the opposite side ofcthe street. My friend got hers at OXO same deal as me.

I also wanted to mention Chilitos it is across from Balboa and it 50 peso for breakfast (desayauno) excellent breakie. Oscar is so friendly and speaks good english. Oscar junior is cute too!