We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

Vancouver, WA
Level Contributor
98 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Hola amigos! Since many of you were SO helpful when I was asking for information on restaurants and massages prior to leaving on our trip to Mazatlan on Jan 19, I thought I'd let you know what transpired. This was our second trip (after a 12 year hiatus at Torres Mazatlan) to Emerald Bay - staying for 2 weeks this year. We became more bold and got ourselves out to some of the restaurants. We also hooked up with another couple at Emerald Bay who took us under their wing so we explored more than we normally would have. There was no restaurant that we wouldn't return to although Pancho's in the Golden Zone, Chili's Pepper, and Mr. Lionso's are at the top of our favorites list. We also tried Loco Loco's (which was packed and no one at Tony's), Diego's, and La Casa Country. After trying the molcajete at Pancho's, I was hooked and tried it at 3 more restaurants for comparison. I liked it best at Pancho's and Mr. Lionso's but wouldn't turn it down at Loco Loco's or La Casa (which was the most tame).

For massages, we had three each (the hubbs and I) with Gustavo directly across from Pueblo Bonito Maz in the "mexican arts and crafts center" mall with the adobe dome. $25 for a VERY deep tissue massage. He is a kind and knowledgeable person but definitely does deep tissue. This is not your feel-good Swedish type, this is your heal-good knots and kinks type. We also had a wonder Swedish massage at Athina Spa downtown that was just lovely ($18 + tip). It's great how they wipe you down so that you're not an oily mess.

Also, I got very bold and decided to visit a dentist to have a nightguard made. My U.S. dentist wanted to charge $900. Dr. Paty Ascencio charged about $250 U.S. She is located across from PBMaz and speaks excellent English as do her other staff. Her office is bright and clean and they are highly competent. My nightguard is amazing.

So there you have it. Thanks, everyone, for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
Torres Mazatlan Resort
Torres Mazatlan Resort
332 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Pancho's
Pancho's
1,554 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Golden Zone
Golden Zone
385 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
La Casa Country
La Casa Country
278 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan
1,685 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Athina Spa
Athina Spa
184 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,909 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Great report. I'm very happy the advice you received here was of help.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
258 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Glad you had a great trip. Thanks for taking the time to write an informative trip report!

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

So glad that you had a great time! And thanks for coming back and reporting on your trip. Glad you enjoyed the restaurant tips. Fun fact - Jaime (one of the brothers that owns Loco's Loco's) started his restaurant career working for and learning from Pancho.

Mentioned in this post
Pancho's
Pancho's
1,554 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Another satisfied customer! Thanks for the report.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
553 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Thanks so much for your trip report and thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Good price for a massage.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report! That was a nice savings on your nightguard!

I'm looking forward to a massage at Athina Spa next Saturday! Cannot wait.

Mentioned in this post
Athina Spa
Athina Spa
184 Reviews
Mazatlan, Mexico
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
190 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Sounds like you had a great time; thanks for taking the time to report on your great trip! Such a positive report...always wonder why people are just not flocking to Maz in droves! More fun for us I guess! We should be at Lionso's next Saturday!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,757 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Wow, you really were brave! Great report. We are looking forward to our first Pacifico at Gus Gus a week today!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,639 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the trip report--as I'm sure you realize from your own experience, they are most helpful for future travelers to Mazatlan.

Mentioned in this post
Mazatlan
Mazatlan
Sinaloa, Mexico
chicago
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Great report. Thanks for sharing.