We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

Hello. I hope nobody gets upset with me for asking this, but I truly am asking this sincerely. I have ever only been two places in my whole life, Cancun once, and Jamaica twice, and those vacations were over 9-18 years ago! I have no idea what it is like to be on vacation anymore......my question(s) is/are (and maybe this is geared more towards the women since I am female): But what on earth do I bring on vacation? Swimsuit, shorts, tank tops during the day? What other kind of clothes? We will be in Mazatlan the middle of April--the week of the 15th......do I need "warm" clothes and what exactly does that entail? A coat? Do I need dresses? Or just shorts, and what about shoes? Can you wear "nice" sandals to restaurants or do they need to be closed shoes? This really is all new to me again! I just don't know what to pack. And what about as far as sitting by the pool.....do I bring like a tote with me? A fanny pack? (Are those still in existence?) What about a purse--do you bring a purse on vacation?! Do you wear something over your swimsuit to go down to the pool/ocean? I know this may sound ridiculous, but I really need some help!

ANYTHING you can tell me would be SO greatly appreciated by me!! Thank you very, very much for your time!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

I'll let a woman answer your specific questions but I just want to say enjoy your long overdue vacation. I can say it will be quite pleasant in April and casual is the theme in Mazatlan.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
Level Contributor
11,736 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

Welcome to the Forum.

Feel free to ask any guestion. You can type in the Search... Clothing for Ladies.. etc.. in Mexico Forum..and get Lots of Info./Help.

April will be pretty warm.. so take Shorts, sleeveless tops,skorts.. but for evening make a Little sweater or jacket.. Sundress, Sandels. Thongs. Wrap or cover up to go to beach,pool.Take a tote,with Keys,tips also. We leave those for gifts. Take your own Suntan Lotion. Take a small thermo Mug.(#1 Item) it keep drinks cool,bugs and sand out.

If you are going to a Fancy resort you should check their Dress code, other wise Casual ....

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

Ditto to everything JoLee said. During the day I'm either in a bathing suit and cover up (when going to and from pool/beach, lunch etc.) or shorts and tshirts. At night, capris, nice top and sandals are perfect. You may need a light sweater for some evenings. Tote is necessary for book, suntan lotion, sunglasses, tips, keys etc. I don't take my regular purse on vacation but instead bought a little lime green over the shoulder purse that goes in my tote during the day and crossed over my shoulder during the evenings to carry just the few things that I need and it goes with everything tropical. Works great! We also bring a thermal glass with lid and straw. Great when we were at an All Inclusive cuz always took a "traveller" with us as we went out walking and exploring. This time we are in a condo but that will work well also as we can take a blender drink or wine or whatever out with us when we go. Mazatlan is very laid back and relaxed. Go and have a great time! I'm excited for you that you are getting a vacation after so long. I'd be curious to know where you decided to stay?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

Don't worry: mazatlan is so laid back you can get by with the clothes on your back, a swimsuit and a tooth brush. If you forget something there a re plenty of places to shop. Most notably you can get about anything you need from Mega. I'm sure the women can be more specific with your questions.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

That is one of the reasons why I like Mazatlan. Dress codes do not exist! Do your own thing...as temperatures dictate.

chicago
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

I agree with the other ladies about clothing, but really anything goes in Mazatlan. Dress how you want and have comfy shoes for walking around. I do not bring my nice purse. I bought a Mazatlan tote at one of the many shops along the street. No worries when sand gets in it or if it gets wet or dirty laying around the pool.

Have a great vacation!!! Post a trip report when you return.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
133 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

So this is what I pack for tropical vacations - flip flops for the beach, runners or sports sandals, and a nice pair of sandals to wear with sundresses (something with a bit of a heel). Two swim suits and two cover-ups, shorts, t-shirts, a casual skirt, and a nice sundress. Mazatlan can be chilly in the evenings so a light sweater is not a bad idea. I bring a beach tote with me on the plane and stick a smaller over the shoulder purse inside. Don't over pack, that way you can bring home a few souvenirs. Remember to take eco-friendly sunblock , sunglasses and hat. Or buy a hat from Henry on the Beach - He's been selling on the beaches for at least 25 years and he never forgets a customer!

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

...or if you're if front of El Cid buy a hat from Bobby. He's a very nice guy.

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

Oh my goodness, thank you SO much everyone for your ideas, tips, and suggestions. I really do appreciate it. I believe we are staying at the El Cid El Moro Beach resort. I am looking forward to vacation, but I am nervous too! I know, how can I be nervous about this? I should be excited! When the time gets closer, I know I will be! You gave me some great ideas, thanks again everyone. These forums are great!

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
1,060 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Haven't been on vacation in 10 years--HELP!

We're is Henry located and what type of hats does he sell?