We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

trip report

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Regina Sask Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
trip report

Hola everyone,

Arrived home Mar 7 after 5.5 gloriuos weeks in our second home Mazatlan for the 17th time. Well, West Jet was up to their old tricks. We had prebooked our seats in May and when we got to the counter in Regina they had given our seats away. We ended up in the back of the plane with 2 seats and NO room. You get to meet lots of ppl that are going to the bathroom so never a dull moment in those seats for 4.5 hrs. Arrive late as per usual but not too bad.

Weather hotter than a pistol when we arrived. From -48F(windchill) to 114F in the direct sun was enough to knock us out the 2nd day. Only spent 1 hr walking the beach in the morn and 1 hr on the deck, flipping every 10 mins, and felt like crap the next day. No, it was not an abundunce of booze either and when both of us are down we knew that's what it had to be so Mon was a write off.

Did a pub crawl a few times in old town, The usual, Pua Pua, Edgar's, Diony's?, Botana and will try another one across from Edgar's. You go in looking for fun and they will give it to you. Not to be affraid. Mind you never went to those places at night, but during the day not a problem at all!!! If you go around 1:30-3ish some of the places serve free food and something different everyday.

Went out to Cerritos. Not a fan. Felt like Stone Island at first. Nothing to do there as far as we were concerned but at least we went to see it.

Went to our usual resturants. always start and end at Margarita's with Tony and Patricio. Spent lots of time at the Saloon. The girls sure have turned that place into something. See hard work pays off. Ponchos, Mr Losbster, which I wish we would've tried sooner as what we had was good. Hope they're still there next year. Fat Fish, Liked their ribs better than Minnisota Cafe but our friends said that at the Minn they offered filet for the same price and they said that it was one fo the best steaks that they've had so we'll definetly tried that. Ramada on the Beach. Our Dear Olga. She's been there for who knows how long. She is great. The Ramada has happy hour all day from 9am to 11pm. So 2 beer for 35p and so are the fish bowls for 35p. Most other places are at least 60p so we're glad that we tan at the Ramada. Ate at the Beach side where she is but also in the resturant on the other side and very good and lots. That's one thing that you'll get ANYWHERE in Maz is LOTS OF FOOD on your plate. Even if you think it might be a little pricy to pay $10 for a burger you can bet you bippy you'll have a hard time finishing some of them. The Saloon had their burger for (159p)($12?) but you would need at least 2 ppl to eat it.

Very slow on the beach except for Carnival. Hear that the cruise ships are coming back so that will really help

Have a Mexican family that we are friends with and we went over to their house in Juarez for the middle daughters 16th birthday. We had to leave at 6 but they were going to be getting a street full by the end of the night. Our friends said that ppl will come all evening to celebrate. Hope he had enough food because they sure went through quite a bit while we were there. They started cooking around 4-4:30 and made carne asada, totados, whole lobster, sausage, and can't think of everything else that they had on this huge char coal bbq. The daughter was very cordual to her friends as they arrived giving them a kiss on the cheeks.

Weather turned a little cooler and windy for a week but was stilll better than being at home with snow storms and brutal windchills.

Had pedicures at Tippy toes in Centro. Happy with the job but the owners son could use a lesson in customer service.

When we got home that night the other half said we didn't really do anything this year and I said so why would that be different that last year. After 17 times we;ve been there and done that so it really is a lazy holiday and greatfull for it. Adios

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: trip report

Great trip report! Glad you had such a great time and that you enjoyed Mr. Lobster - our new favorite restaurant! Just asked my husband, "How many times can we go to Mr. Lobster". He's pretty easy going. Said I could go as many times as I want as he could eat the Kahlua Shrimp over and over! I said we'd have to go as many times as necessary to try all the different versions of shrimp that I want to try - and the lobster as well. Will definitely try the Lobster Thermidor this time. We leave next Friday!!

Edited: 12 March 2013, 23:16
Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,469 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: trip report

Thanks for the trip report. Should be of help to new visitors.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,707 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: trip report

Good read.

Gracias

Northern Michigan
Level Contributor
233 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: trip report

Thanks for the report- soaking up as much Info as possible before we leave!

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
358 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: trip report

Where did you stay? We love Olga and have stayed at th Ramada many times. We love their location. Even if we don't stay at Ramada we always spend at least a day on their beach. We also like the vendors there. Glad to hear you had a great time.

Carson City, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,970 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: trip report

Thanks for taking us along. I can't wait until I return to Mazatlan.

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
1,053 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: trip report

Seriously, it was a 114 degrees in Mazatlan this winter. That is crazy hot.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: trip report

A little perspective here! I think the poster was talking direct sunlight, which doesn't rate on any weather reports. In the three months we've been here, the thermometer hasn't hit 75 anytime on the beach...shade temperature. I don't think?

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
1,053 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: trip report

That is what I was thinking. I've been watching the temps since the beginning of January. Not really sure how the direct sun temp could be 114 if the actual temp is only around 75 or 80.

Regina Sask Canada
Level Contributor
172 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: trip report

We took our thermomter to the beach and it read 48C(114F) in the sun and 30 in the shade. We stay at Play Bonita across the street.