We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

We are headed to puerto vallarta for 4 months next winter. We have been there before for one month and really liked it, but worried that 4 months is too long. We are in very early stages of now considering spending a month or 2 in mazatlan, taking the bus from PV.

So my question is, how similar is mazatlan to old town PV? In PV we stay near the malecon and would be looking for a similar setting in Mazatlan. We would be looking for an apartment for $800ish. We arent looking to do all the tours and such, just hanging out, eating street tacos, going to the beach, walking around. Would we be bored in Mazatlan, or do they have similar to offer as PV?

On a different note all together....I hope to do a couple timeshare presentations in mazatlan. Anyone know how much they pay for a middle age couple? I'm guessing similar to PV where they can pay 3000-5000 pesos.

Edited: 27 March 2013, 14:35
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,644 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

If you like old town PV, you are going to LOVE Mazatlan. Our old town area is older, and much larger. Mazatlan is also much easier to get around in. While the Gold Zone and the Old Zone are separated, Mazatlan (The places any tourist would go) is along a 10 mile strip, from the beach inland about a mile or so. There is much, much more, but it has few attractions for tourists. Even adventuresome tourists.

It will be easy to find a nice rental for your price range. Dining out here is unbelievable. Like I tell people, if you want to see one of us full time ex-pat's have their eyes roll back in their head and start muttering, ask us 'Which is your FAVORITE restaurant?' Please don't do that to us. Instead ask us 'What are your favorite 10 (Or even 20) restaurants?' There are, I would guess, about 1500 restaurants in this town. Plaza Machado and Olas Altas alone have probably better than 50. The Gold Zone? Many, many, many more.

We also have the Angela Peralta Theater with dozens and dozens of varied shows, museum's, gallery's, the 'First Friday Art Walk', the aquarium, Maz Agua Water Park, skate board park, city park.......... Then there is El Recreo in old Mazatlan. A relatively new place that is a cross between community playhouse/theater/movie theater/coffee shop playhouse/etc. More than ou can imagine. You may well NEVER return to PV!

lecture hall, theater,

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

We go to both yearly and love them both. We spend about a month or so in each. They are very different. PV is more tropical.

There is much more tourist things to do in PV, mainly because PV has become almost the whole bay, from Yelapa to Bucerias, etc. Mazatlan to the tourist is not bigger in my opinion. Mazatlan does have a lot to do and see, though. It is older. It has a really nice plaza downtown. It has a nice malecon, but it is not anything like PV's when it comes to the amount of restaurants on the malecon. There is more industry in Mazatlan. Both have a ton of fantastic and reasonable places to eat and drink. Both have very easy bus and taxi/pulmonia systems for getting around, and both are very walkable.

You should do Mazatlan, but it is not better. It is different. And it is beautiful to us.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,044 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

Your apartment rent in Mazatlan will be much less than you have budgeted if you spend any time on line looking for a nice place in the Old Town part of Mazatlan. I did a winter there and found it to be so reasonable. Depends on what you are looking for. I am not a swimmer so didn't care that it was cooler (to be honest cold!!)...I love walking and I love eatingg out and I love old buildings and churches, etc. I was in photo heaven!!

Nice/adequate apartments in PVR can be insane in their pricing in the Romantic zone...and food has gone up there considerably. I have wintered in PVR but no longer do it because of the rental rates. When a perfect place can be found in other Mexico destinations...time to move on!!

Just my 2 pesos worth!! Did you check out my video of Old Town?

…tripadvisor.com/tripwow/ta-00b3-036e-c618

Also look at the top questions in the upper right hand corner of this forum...and see the inexpensive restaurant ideas that Richard H did a report on...he knows where to go!!!

Edited: 27 March 2013, 17:48
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,044 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

Here is the link on eating out...

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150792-s504/Mazatlan…

bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

Thanks so much for the answers so far!

A couple things I would really miss if mazatlan didnt have, would be a place near the beach to drink cheap, and street taco type stands. PV had the 3 places that had 12 peso big margaritas. At least they had them a year ago. Does Mazatlan have any beach scene with free chairs and cheap drinks?

We love the malecon, but dont eat out at the tourist places. We cook at home quite a bit, buying fresh fish from the fish market thats been for years on the malecon beach area.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
762 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

The Malecon has places along it on the beach to drink. Mazatlans Malecon is not promenade style like PV's. It is very long but not a mall. Almost all of the retail stuff is on the other side of the avenue. The Palapa restaurants that there are are off the Malecon and down on the sand. They have signs advertising happy hours and stuff so I'm sure you'd find a decent priced Margarita. There is the morning fish market by Playa Norte where you buy right from the fisherman and there is a huge central market with no shortage of fish. In addition there is a 2 block area in downtown that sells shrimp, and a whole lot of it available. That area is known as 'Shrimp Ladies'.

There is more street food and stands than you could ever visit in a lifetime just like the the rest of Mexico. My favorite is the fruta guy on Benito Jaurez by the Shoe Shine stands that cuts fruit to order and sells you a heaping large cup for 20 pesos, any fruit combo you wish.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
2,752 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

There is no Sea Monkey, and 12 peso beers are MUCH harder to find in Mazatlan any longer (on the beach, that is), even though it is bottled here! Joe's is a nice hangout, and there are some smaller places behind the seawall that have reasonable prices. There is no Los Muertos Beach here. There is Stone Island, which is nice, and Playa Norte has some nice places to hang out. Mzt is not like PV, however.

Check out Google Maps, and you can see what Mzt was like when the last download was.

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1,146 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

You may want to post your question on timeshare playoffs in another post.

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

Both are great places for extended stays. Aesthetically, I like PV better because it is more tropical/green and has the mountains that come up right out of the water. I like the Mazatlan beaches better because they are flatter, easier to walk, and more contiguous - they go on for miles of uninterupted walking.

I'd rate the eating better in PV because it seems more diverse to us - I'm not sure about the actual number of restaurants. It seems like there are more in PV, or at least more dense and closer together, but I could not validate that. The biggest difference is the price. Eating is less expensive in Mazatlan, as are places to stay. That fact alone would probably sway us towards Mazatlan.

Try both. You can't be disappointed with either.

bright
Level Contributor
78 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spending a month or 2 in Mazatlan

I was a bit scared to post a topic solely based on playing the timeshare game. In the past it rarely has been received well, lol.

Thanks for the additional replies, as they have been very helpful.

Edited: 28 March 2013, 00:26