We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Topic
Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Well, we're all packed up and ready to go tomorrow morning (sad) but not before enjoying our last evening in Mazatlan. Right now I'm enjoying - you guessed it, wine time on the deck for my last night!

The last few days have been full of similar and regular stuff with some real highlights. On the evening of Day Thirteen we were invited to a party and bbq with local friends. One of the greatest honours you can experience in Mexico is being invited to join a Mexican family for a meal/party. We bbq'ed carne asada and it was probably the best meal I've had. It was so good!! We drank and danced and sang and laughed and all seemed to understand each other although many didn't speak English at all and my Spanish is way more limited than I would like it to be. Fun, Fun, Fun! We also brought an orange and nut cake from Panama Bakery which was very good. When we return at Xmas it will be our mission to get invited to a street party!

Day Fourteen we headed to La Canoa to see our friend Elvia and have some lunch. Great meal! And of course two for one drinks. I'm not a huge Mahi Mahi fan but the three cheese fish looked good to me so I tried it. It was delicious! The three cheese sauce had shrimp in it as well and it was delicious. I'm still not a huge fan of mahi mahi but this meal was good. It was served with rice and a delicious and fresh salad. Really fresh tomoatoes, lettuce, cucumbers and red onions. My husband had the beef nachos which we always enjoy. Elvia was such a dear. Her son is getting married on Saturday and she invited us to come. Again, another huge honour. We tried to change our flights so we could stay and attend but no such luck. It was still so sweet of her to invite us.

That night we went to Vittore for dinner. We have never been there and it was really good. I had shrimp in a pernod sauce with risotto which was just delicious. My son had the spinach and ricotta cannelloni in a gorgonzola sauce and my husband had beef ravioli in a pomodoro sauce. All were very good. And complimentary Kahlua and Milk to finish the meal. Also, the location across the street from the Ramada during Moto Week made for good people (and motorcycle) watching as many were coming and going from there.

So I can't believe that I've made it through the entire trip and haven't had lobster yet. So I needed to have some. La Canoa had no lobster yesterday so I wasn't sure they would have it today otherwise we would have went there. Instead we went to Mr. Lobster and I had the Lobster Thermidor and my husband had the Kahlua Shrimp. Both were delicious as usual. I've read lately that the service there has been hit and miss but our service was excellent. We've been there many times now though and the staff recognize us so it seems that at one time or another they all come over and make sure we have everything we need.

So tonight we're off to the Art Walk and El Presidio for dinner. This dinner has been highly anticipated so I will report on our thoughts after.

The weather has been absolutely perfect and beautiful every day. No big waves yet today but you can see anomalies in the behavior of the water. Maybe tomorrow it will get wild.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Gracias, loved your story.

Edited: 06 April 2013, 00:45
J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Great reviews and I will look forward to your reviews in December. Did you see any motorcycles?

chicago
Level Contributor
92 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

I loved reading your posts. Very well written. Thank you!!!

4. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 29 March 2015, 16:29
Canada
Level Contributor
596 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Glad you enjoyed your time in paradise! Thank you so much for your reports enjoyed them immensely! Off to Mazatlan in the morning for me your reports have made it pass faster! Have a good trip home!

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Thanks everyone. I really enjoyed our time here and posting made it all the more fun - as did knowing that you enjoyed them!

J-W - Boy did see motorcycles! Went into Centro tonight and the drive was SLOW. Lots of traffic through the GZ and the Malecon. Crazy busy! Some nice bikes though.

Mazatlanfan - Have a great trip - as you always do!!

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
1,181 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

If we had known about the Motorcycle week we would have come last Tuesday. We had a Honda Goldwing Touring Bike and my husband enjoys seeing all of the different bikes. Again, really enjoyed your reports.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,601 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Many thanks, Sunseeker for your timely, witty, and informative reports. I'm very happy that you enjoyed your trip to "Paradise" and hope that you have a safe trip home. I have no doubt that your daily inputs will help other travelers.

"When we return at Xmas it will be our mission to get invited to a street party!"

You hit the jackpot! As a reward for all your help to others, I invite you and your family to a genuine Mexican "street party" in Mazatlan that my Mexican family invites my wife and I to every Christmas. The Christmas street party's are called Posadas, and have two parts, a religious segment and party atmosphere--complete with Pinatas. There are actually nine straight nights of them just before Christmas and I get invitations to all of them but never have gone to more then three in one year--not strong enough. LOL

I have no doubt that you will enjoy it. Just contact me as your trip gets closer to Christmas and I'll make arrangements.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Mazatlan and all of the people there truly seem amazing to me. Sunseeker, we have really enjoyed all of your posts and it has helped immensely in feeding our anticipation of our trip in May. Our upcoming vacation will be like none that we have ever experienced before, we have always gone to AI in the Caribbean, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Bahamas, Belize but we have never spent any time off resort... EVERYONE's posts have us totally excited to get out, enjoy the city, meet locals and truly experience what a great destination has to offer.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
229 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Thirteen, Fourteen and Fifteen

Mazexp - What a huge honour! One that we will gladly take you up on. Thank you so much!! Will be in touch - a LONG eight months away.

Chuck - you will no doubt really enjoy Mazatlan and getting off the resort is the key - as is reading this forum prior to your trip as you are doing so you know what to do when you get there. You are absolutely right - the people are amazing and you will love them!

J-W - We missed the parade today. My son was bummed! But didn't miss all the engines keeping us up all last night!