We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Lo Tijalones- In old Arree Lulus location. Doesn't have AL's large menu or atmosphere but had good meal.Imperial shrimp in Coconut/Kalua sauce. Fresh baked bread. Good service. The new owners are trying hard.

Mr. Lobster- Worst meal we had in over 10 years in Mazatlan. Lobster Thermidor with no lobster in it. Combo platter of lobster tail and shrimp with lobster tail smaller than a crayfish tail and so called coconut shrimp, 3 small fried shrimp with some slivers of raw coconut sprinkled on top. Left hungry and went back to unit and had last night's leftovers. Also poor service.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,103 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

C.V. - my lobster combo platter was sparse, too. I think there were 3 bites of lobster tail, and not an over-abundance of shrimp, either! However, my DH had the shrimp Mazatlan and that was fantastic!

I though my meal at Los Tijalones was not bad...next year I'll try them for breakfast!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
408 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

I guess it's a matter of inconsistency. I was at Mr. Lobster about April 6th and had one of the better lobster thermidors I've had anywhere. It had lots of big pieces of lobster with just the right amount of sauce. Nothing fancy as far as sides but when I'm concentrating on a main course I don't care.

BTW, I've been eating lobster thermidor since I was a kid over (ahem) 50 years ago. Lately my favorite is Casa Mar in Ensenada B.C.

Kimo

Edited: 25 April 2013, 00:50
Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Kimo Maybe they used up all their lobster on your meal before I got there. I too have been eating Lobster thermidor for many years ( not as many as you) and believe me what I got was NOT Lobster thermidor.

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,090 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Too funny. I actually replied to this post earlier but somehow lost it and didn't re-post it. But I said the almost exact same thing as Kimo. I had the Lobster Thermidor at Mr. Lobster on April 5th and it was chocked full of lobster and was delicious. I did hear, however, from our friend that owns a restaurant in Mazatlan, that it was difficult around that time to get lobster so maybe Kimo and I did get the last of the lobster before you arrived! Doesn't excuse the shrimp though. When they get it right, Mr. Lobster is very good IMHO.

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Interesting comments. I went back to my blog....January 29th...and found the following....

"Finally, to wrap up a full day, we went out to dinner to a new place in the Golden Zone, Mr Lobster. We had fine meals of shrimp...Imperial for Nancy, bacon/cheese wrapped big ones, too much bacon, and chipotle shrimp for me, less big ones. If you stayed away from the lobster specials, the prices were most reasonable"

In retrospect, I would now say that while the meal was good, the ambience sucks, and there are far more attractive places to eat in Mazatlan, as we find each year. Just MHO....lol!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
408 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Neils,

Totally agree about the atmosphere. What's worse, as others have commented, they play this obnoxiously loud music most of the time. When I was there I was lucky in that it wasn't on.

And yes, lobster season is over. With shrimp they have a huge supply of frozen (which virtually all shrimp is at one time) to tide them over or they can use farmed. Maybe not so with lobster.

Kimo

Edited: 25 April 2013, 22:38
Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
307 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

Before ordering we asked about the lobster. We were shown a large live lobster and told that was the size they used. The tail on the combo plate was much much smaller. My thermidor had only large mushrooms., NO LOBSTER That must have been their "show " lobster. If they didn't have an adequate lobster supply. they should have been honest and said so. We felt lied to and cheated.

And yes, the loud music did not make for an enjoyable atmosphere.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
531 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

I believe the name of the restaurant is Los Tebajanes and is run by Playa Mazatlan.

Thumbs down for Mr Lobster - sparse serving of lobster - and lobster was IN season when we were there. Better to hop in a taxi/bus and go to the Last Drop at Cerritos. My wife got 2 and a half lobsters for the same price as Mr Lobster! I agree on LOUD music - is very obnoxious for us old folks!

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,746 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

I was going to give Mr. Lobster a try, but when we got there the place looked so empty and uninviting we passed by. Guess we didn't miss much!

Ontario
Level Contributor
3,012 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews of 2 new(to us) restaurants

"I believe the name of the restaurant is Los Tebajanes and is run by Playa Mazatlan."

Not quite correct....it is called Los Tejabanes, and the new owners ran a restaurant in Hotel Playa for twenty years until Playa went AI last fall, and they lost the customers. They took the staff with them.

As stated, the menu is much smaller than the old Arre Lulus, but I think the breakfast/lunch is among the best in town, and the dinners get pretty good reviews as well.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan