We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental in Mazatlan

B C Interior
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Car Rental in Mazatlan

Our last trip to Mazatlan was in 1989 and we are returning for 2 weeks for Christmas. We are staying just outside the Emerald Bay area which does not have bus service. For convenience we are thinking about renting a car at the airport. Has anybody had recent experience with car rentals in Mazatlan? We are concerned about the insurance coverage. We have a Canadian credit card which has collision coverage but I have heard that most rental companies in Mexico refuse to accept credit card insurance. Most of the information on line about Mexican Car Insurance can be confusing.

Mazatlan, Mexico
14 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

I agree with Roger here. Foreign insurance is not valid in Mexico, you must have Mexican insurance. If there is a accident or problem and you do not have papers in the car, at best it will be a major hassle.

To you and others who are thinking of renting a car, I think you can get better rates by reserving on line than at the agency. When I need to rent a car for a few days, I get every type of insurance they offer. The insurance costs more than the car rental. What I am buying is peace of mind and I call it my “get out of jail free card”.

What you might consider is relaxing at the remote resort for most of the time, and rent a car for one or two days of exploring the city. Having said that, driving conditions and parking etc will try anyone’s patience who is not use to this area.

Good luck and enjoy Mazatlán

Black Hawk
Level Contributor
92 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

First, I completely agree with all the advice re renting a car and other ideas for transportation.

That said one time we rented a car for a trip out to Concordia. Rented from Budget, got all the insurance they offered, total was $50 USD a day (car and insurance). Had no problem at all even when I refilled with gas. We had a blast and would do it again if we had a special need for a car. Traffic in town was not a problem but I am used to driving in San Francisco, LA and NY.

Again taxis, buses and pulmonias are excellent forms of transportation. We take the buses everywhere in town. If one stays in Maz one does not really need a car.

Morris, Illinois
Level Contributor
778 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

Just a thought, the people that work there have to get to work somehow, maybe they take a red truck or whatever, but I'll bet they could hook you up with someone trustworthy that drives there every day. Might be worthwhile to make a friend who could recommend a taxi service that drives there every day. You may have to get out of bed before noon but at least you would be able to really see Mazatlan.

B C Interior
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

Thank you for all your replies and suggestions. We have decided not to rent a car. I have been in touch with the owners of the resort who has offered to drive us to the bus stop. They also go into town most days and we can catch a ride with them or share a taxi with the other guests at the resort.

Iowa
Level Contributor
35 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

I am glad I found this discussion. I have been debating the car rental vs taxi issue. We are staying next door to the El Sol La Vida in a VRBO over New Years. The owner says most people get a rental car but she said for some she has arranged for a driver. Our problem is we are 12 people so finding a 1 vehicle to hold us is near impossible. I think we will go with the driver. We plan to spend most of our time relaxing at the house and on the beach. But will want at least two days in town.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,477 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

You should be able to find two van drivers to transport your party.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

I drive here every single day for the last 14 months and I have NEVER once had a problem with anything involving driving especially parking. Its the easiest in the world. But I'm also not parking on the main drag in the golden zone. There are parking lots everywhere but you really don't notice them until your looking for one.

Rent a car, just rent it online and from the airport and it will be much cheaper then from the golden zone.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

Good point on the insurance Falconroger. Another option is to get insurance from any car insurance agency here in Mazatlan and you'll save lots compared to the car rental company's rates.

Edited: 01 December 2013, 05:51
Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
198 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

The red truck taxies would be another option. They should only cost 10 pesos per person in your group and should be able to handle a group of 12. We've done it with more before.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
156 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car Rental in Mazatlan

I just rented a car in Cancun for 8 days. My suggestion is to trust the people on Trip Advisor to point you to the right car rental company. That is most important.

#2 - Buy EVERY insurance they offer. ALL OF THEM!

#3 - Take pictures and a video on your cell phone of the entire car, inside and out prior to accepting it.

#4 - Don't drive at night. As a veteran of 4 hours of driving through the Yucatan jungle and Cancun at night, trust me. The real danger isn't bandits or cartels. It's the lack of adequate signs, directions and help. Who will you call at 10 AM when your car breaks down? The cops? AAA? The rental car company?

#5 - Have fun. I made it 8 days in Cancun and had no issues.