We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Save Topic
The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

Mazatlan is one of the very few warm weather destinations where you can regularly see the Green Flash. However the other locations where's it's most common -- Manzanillo, Mexico and Hawaii -- can't compete with Maz for also having spectacular sunrises. In fact they can often be better than the sunsets, AND with a special twist.

This is because Mazatlan is located on a sharp peninsula location, with a small mountain perfectly situated to hold back morning light rays until they explode over the crest at a higher and brighter angle. If there is any cloud cover to the south this phenomena creates a breathtaking fire in the sky affect.

The twist? If you're in the aptly named Golden Zone the sunrise appears over water, just as the sunset will to end the day. Now where else in the world can you see the sun meeting the water TWICE a day? This morning offered a perfect and stunning example:

webcamsdemexico.net/mazatlan1/…0700.jpg

J R
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

Hmm I can't open the link, maybe it's because I'm on the iPad

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
505 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

No problem opening with Firefox on a PC

J R
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

Got it on the pc

Sylvan Lake, Canada
Level Contributor
3,083 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

Amazing! Thanks for the great pic AguaMaz!! Seeing the images just makes me want to be there all the more.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,064 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

That is the view of the sunrise I had while sitting on my Penthouse balcony at El Cid El Moro! Wish I could repeat those 4 days of heaven, but I doubt an opportunity like that will come my way again.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3,336 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

Slick !!

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
1,063 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

Love the sunrise and sunset in Maz. My iPad downloaded your picture perfectly. THANK YOU!

8. Re: The Sunrise Phenomenon....With A Twist

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2014, 05:18